Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Path of BJJ Warrior

Hybrid View

Default Path of BJJ Warrior

I am just wondering if there are any "programs" that takes you from white belt to blue from blue to purple and so on.
    I mean certain techniques, balance or flexibility exercises... or maybe at yours dojos are programs or special classes for certain "colors"?

I am a fresh blue belt and I would like to improve my game...

ooossssss
    Tap, Snap or Nap
    the choice is yours

Bjj London
    Web Design London

for just 5000 pounds worth of privates i will take you to purple belt. invest in your future today!
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Its not his cup you can feel.... Mike Bishop's Avatar

Regardless of the strange 'path of the warrior' question, it's sensible to have a plan. There's a good reason why some people get to black belt far quicker than others - and it's not just mat time. I wish I'd been more intelligent and structured in my training when I first started

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bishop View Post
    Regardless of the strange 'path of the warrior' question, it's sensible to have a plan. There's a good reason why some people get to black belt far quicker than others - and it's not just mat time. I wish I'd been more intelligent and structured in my training when I first started
    Yeah I'd second that. I think I kinda wasted my first year as a blue belt by not training smart (even though I was training 4-5 times a week).

Personal tips from experience:
    Train a guard until it works - pick any basic guard position, try to get to that position whenever you're defending and sweep from there. Keep doing this with the same guard for as many months as it takes to stop getting blitzed by senior blues, then move on. You will learn how to move into and out of that guard, which guard changes work and what the weak points of the guard are.
    Have a submission of the month - Again, pick armbar/triangle/omoplata/choke, try and do that from any position for a month, then move on. Drill it exclusively in private if you can. When sparring with white belts and blue belts, base your entire game around setting up that particular submission, or a variant.
    Do whatever is taught in class in sparring - You will have your sweep attempt stuffed, people will see it coming a mile off, you won't nail the choke first time. But six months down the line there will be a difference between you and the guy who doesn't.
    Focus on making yourself "hard to tap" for purple belts - As a new blue belt, any brown or black belt is going to treat you in the same manner that a cat plays with a mouse. Any legit purple belt will smash you. Learn to lose smart! If you just stall for five minutes trying not to get tapped, you might not get tapped but you will learn nothing. If you work on your escapes and defence, you will get tapped repeatedly, but you will learn something. If you can make them to switch submission attempts a couple of times before having to tap, thats a good sign!

oh and
    Try and make everything efficient
    Listen to purple belts!

Just train and make sure you're training to get better not to tap people.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

^Excellent post, Thanks

Really good post Jack. I'll be putting that into practice when i restart in the new year.

There was a thread where Simon posting some tips about working with the gi, and grips etc that i need to dig out too as I am no gi by background.
    Strategy can subsitute for talent, but talent will never subsitute for strategy.

"Sometimes hype just isn't enough" Jens Pulver

Quote Originally Posted by mataleo View Post
    I am just wondering if there are any "programs" that takes you from white belt to blue from blue to purple and so on.
    I mean certain techniques, balance or flexibility exercises... or maybe at yours dojos are programs or special classes for certain "colors"?

ooossssss
    Without wishing to sound obnoxious, I really have no idea what you're asking? Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by mataleo View Post

ooossssss
    keep training simple go that extra mile repetitions practice makes perfect

Dickie said to me yesterday, "as long as you still enjoy it, you'll get better". Point is, the boring stuff is important but make sure you break it up by doing what you enjoy most sometimes.