Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pedro Bessa Swansea

Default Pedro Bessa Swansea

So, I was looking at complimenting my Judo with some BJJ & couldnt find anything in carmarthen where I live but found 2 clubs in swansea, gb swansea or chris rees academy and a pedro bessa class in swansea lc. can anyone from the pedro bessa swansea group pm me with details plse. The gb swansea website was great and gave me all the info I needed, even a class running in Lllanelli, but when I googled Pedro Bessa an incomplete website (pedrobessauk) came up so am not sure if the info on there for swansea classes is up to date or not. a 2nd site (cardiffbjj) came up gut no info on satellite classes - swansea - on there either. the pedro bessa swansea facebook page was, to be honest, rubbish as well. someone needs to streamline alll the class info and keep the website and fb pages up to date! whoever is in charge of the marketing needs a good whipping!

Gracie Barra Swansea and Chris Rees Academy are the same place. Can be found in Swansea, Cardiff, Bridgend, Llanelli. You won't be disappointed.

We teach with the same attention we put into the website Come along and check us out, I'm sure you'll love it.

We also have a blue belt who now teaches down Pembroke. I'll find out full details and post them here for you soon.
    Last edited by Rob T; 16-09-2010 at 08:58 PM.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

We have the only full time black belt in Wales under Pedro Bessa, 2 highly competitive and active Brown belts in Greg Creel (Celtic Pride MMA and Pedro Bessa BJJ Abertillery, (Greg also coaches Pro MMA fighters), Kevin Cox (Pedro Bessa BJJ Swansea). Both regulars at the Cardiff dojo where we train alongside the Welsh national Judo team (Craig Ewers - Welsh national Judo coach, Ex GB Judo team is a purple belt in BJJ under Pedro Bessa). A growing number of awesome Purple belts and an army of blue and white belts.

We cater for all levels and regularly have visitors from other clubs drop in to train with us. On the mat you'll see Multiple world champion black belts to the total novice.

The Pedro Bessa BJJ network span the UK and Ireland (Newcastle, Bristol, Cardiff, Newquay, Swansea, Port talbot, Abertillery, Cork City) (sorry if I missed anyone)

My advice pop along to any clubs your interested in and check out the training, go with what feels good to you.

ps Pedro Bessa BJJ website is currently being built by a professional web designer so will be up soon.

If you need any info please just let me know.

oosss

Quote Originally Posted by wagon View Post
    The Pedro Bessa BJJ network span the UK and Ireland (Newcastle, Bristol, Cardiff, Newquay, Swansea, Port talbot, Abertillery, Cork City) (sorry if I missed anyone)
    Nothing on your new site about the Swansea class - guess that's gone out of the window then. Cheers for the info Rob T, I'm out injured at the moment (knee ligaments) and have been off for a while now and will be for a while longer but will give your class in Llanelli a go on my return to fitness.

One more question for the Pedro Bessa guys - a training partner of mine who cross trains BJJ / Judo went to some comp in Bristol a few years ago and said there was an oldish guy there - a BJJ blue belt - Brian? - who was awarded his belt by Pedro Bessa - but clearly not at blue belt standard. Rumours were at the time that this guy had been promoted just because he had done some website work and other online stuff for you guys. Any truth in this - it's putting me off BJJ a bit TBH if its true - at least in Judo with the belt gradings you have to demonstrate an acceptable level of competence to get your belts. This guy was - and I'm not being disrespectful here as this was my mates wording - clearly unfit and technically 'pants'.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Nothing on your new site about the Swansea class - guess that's gone out of the window then. Cheers for the info Rob T, I'm out injured at the moment (knee ligaments) and have been off for a while now and will be for a while longer but will give your class in Llanelli a go on my return to fitness.

One more question for the Pedro Bessa guys - a training partner of mine who cross trains BJJ / Judo went to some comp in Bristol a few years ago and said there was an oldish guy there - a BJJ blue belt - Brian? - who was awarded his belt by Pedro Bessa - but clearly not at blue belt standard. Rumours were at the time that this guy had been promoted just because he had done some website work and other online stuff for you guys. Any truth in this - it's putting me off BJJ a bit TBH if its true - at least in Judo with the belt gradings you have to demonstrate an acceptable level of competence to get your belts. This guy was - and I'm not being disrespectful here as this was my mates wording - clearly unfit and technically 'pants'.

Cheers
    lol @ BJJ immorality complex

Cheers
    People are awarded belts for all sorts reasons, not solely contest capability; this is not exclusive to BJJ the same can be said in Judo, hence the new technical Dan grade system and non-competitive lower grades.

Whilst your question is legitimate the tone is quite condescending; I suggest if you still have questions please turn up on Monday or Thursday at 8pm in Cardiff; introduce yourself and you can ask Pedro about his grading structure himself; in the lead up to xmas; whilst your there you can ask Terere one of Pedro's instructors where Pedro got his ideas's about belt grading from.

As you are a judoka, you have an open invite to the judo training at 6.30pm prior to the BJJ.

Best of luck with your training.

Cheers
    Brian may not compete too often but is competent in the techniques and able to demonstrate them to the level required for a blue belt. Comps are not always an accurate representation of peoples level as the pressure of competing affects different people in different ways. Bri also got his blue belt before he started doing any work on the website fyi. As Craig has said above if you don't value/want to question Pedro's grading criteria come and take part in a class he's teaching and at least make an educated choice rather than one based on hearsay.
    Last edited by Gareth; 12-12-2010 at 03:57 AM.
    Pedro Bessa BJJ Bristol. Sweatbox MMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by God of CW View Post
    God likes head kick knock outs.

Bjj makes me larf someone says some shit and the main answer is as all ways why don't you pop down for a lesson lol why don't people just come out with it and say pop down and say your the guy who was mouthing off on the forum so the whole club can smash u and that proves how good you all are. IMO
    "If you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic

No satisfactory answers there, just ultra defensive reactions (all replies from Pedro Bessa guys I assume)! As far as I know, this Brian guy happily and readily admits himself, as he did on numerous occasions to my training partner and others on that day, and still does on various forums now, that he should not be a blue belt. Like I said in my original thread, search Pedro Bessa Swansea and Google returns a 'mess' of websites, social network apps and a useless Facebook page all started by this Brian guy. My mate tells me he used to gush like this over Chris Rees and GB Swansea 'till he 'left'!

I won't be 'popping' down for a lesson in Cardiff 'cause my original question was about Pedro Swansea - Cardiff is too far. I do train there occasionally with the Welsh Judo squad.

No answers on the Pedro Swansea class either, I think if I do train it will be at GB Swansea but I'll just stick to the Judo for now anyway.

My tone was not meant to be condescending - just factual based on what I've been told by more than one person. I can't afford to train in BJJ with a club that awards belts willy nilly. I find it insulting to the people who genuinely deserve those belts.

WTF has Terere got to do with any of this? As if I'm going to turn up and randomly question him - there's plenty of written evidence from this Brian guy himself about his level of BJJ and whether or not he should be a blue. He clearly thinks not.

Thanks for the replies.

End of thread, me thinks.

Taff