Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BJJ question

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

Not possible at my club
    my friends this man is evil

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    I am kinda having trouble with this kind of methodology if a paying student just wishes to learn BJJ for self defence is he left at white belt in your club? or just pushed to the back of the que as someone who just helps to pay the club rent?. I think theres more to a belt than how many medals you have
    You missunderstand me if you think I award grades purely on how many medals my fighters win. e.g. at The English Open one of my fighters had 8 fights, won 6 lost 2. He did not get a medal, but his performance obviously is taken into account when I considering promoting him.

If someone just wants to do BJJ for self defence purposes then I would suggest they also train in our MMA programme, fight MMA and if possible work on the doors in order to experience that friend or foe called 'adrenaline'.

My grading requirements are not secret http://www.thecombatacademy.com/Grading.html and have caused a little debate on the forums before. I am not questioning the grading methodology of any BJJ BB, what I am saying is these are my requirements, if potential students don't like it they have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by shakus maximus View Post
    my friends this man is evil
    shut up and get your entry in for March 27

'Purple Belt for life'

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    Don't let it worry you. If you are progressing, but your instructor won't promote you purely because you don't compete, then you'll just be a white belt who can tap higher grades.

Fine by me.
    Yes you might be a White Belt that can tap higher grades at your own club.

IMO a little different to tapping out guys from other academies in the heat of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by dave coles View Post
    You missunderstand me if you think I award grades purely on how many medals my fighters win. e.g. at The English Open one of my fighters had 8 fights, won 6 lost 2. He did not get a medal, but his performance obviously is taken into account when I considering promoting him.

If someone just wants to do BJJ for self defence purposes then I would suggest they also train in our MMA programme, fight MMA and if possible work on the doors in order to experience that friend or foe called 'adrenaline'.

My grading requirements are not secret http://www.thecombatacademy.com/Grading.html and have caused a little debate on the forums before. I am not questioning the grading methodology of any BJJ BB, what I am saying is these are my requirements, if potential students don't like it they have a choice.
    This elaborates more on my question too - I've competed lots and have a mediocre competition record at best so just wondered how you applied your views. Thanks Dave.
    Pedro Bessa BJJ Bristol. Sweatbox MMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by God of CW View Post
    God likes head kick knock outs.

I agree with you Dave, my instructors also encourage people to compete, they even hold interclubs for people within our organisation so that people can compete in a less pressured way but still against people from different clubs. I pesronally feel that bjj guys should go out and compete in multi styles competitions so that they come up against judo guys sombo guys etc. Also mma of some description be it amature, semi pro or pro.

However where would you put someone like John Danaher, clearly an amazing and well regarded coach who has by all accounts not competed for one reason or another?
    ''fren, purple must smash people. SMASH THEM.
    that is hequirement for purple
    purple belt dangerus man
    if purple belt cannot smash he not real purple'' Creonte

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    However where would you put someone like John Danaher, clearly an amazing and well regarded coach who has by all accounts not competed for one reason or another?
    John Danaher was awarded his BB by Renzo, as I stated earlier I am not questioning the grading methodology of any BJJ BB, let alone Renzo!!

Quote Originally Posted by dave coles View Post
    Yes you might be a White Belt that can tap higher grades at your own club.

IMO a little different to tapping out guys from other academies in the heat of competition.
    Yeah I see what you're saying and it makes a lot of sense. I just hate competing, primarily because I loathe travelling. I train hard and I enjoy a good scrap and pressure testing myself, but I have a hatred for fucking about in cars, trains, coaches. buses, traffic jams, snow drifts, diversions etc. Seriously, it messes with my head. Getting anywhere in this country seems to take ten times longer than it should.

I even hate travelling to train. Fucking about with London transport is no fun. If there's an academy on my doorstep then that's where I'll train coz it means no travelling. Likewise if there's a comp on my doorstep then I'll happily compete. Training for me is all about fitness and self defence. Comps are not a priority. If that means that I don't get graded as often then it's something I'll have to accept.

Yeah I see what you're saying and it makes a lot of sense. I just hate competing, primarily because I loathe travelling. I train hard and I enjoy a good scrap and pressure testing myself, but I have a hatred for fucking about in cars, trains, coaches. buses, traffic jams, snow drifts, diversions etc. Seriously, it messes with my head. Getting anywhere in this country seems to take ten times longer than it should.

I even hate travelling to train. Fucking about with London transport is no fun. If there's an academy on my doorstep then that's where I'll train coz it means no travelling. Likewise if there's a comp on my doorstep then I'll happily compete. Training for me is all about fitness and self defence. Comps are not a priority. If that means that I don't get graded as often then it's something I'll have to accept.
    that sounds like a lame excuse mate . Nobody enjoys long commutes . The basis of what you are saying is that you dont compete or train cause you dont have the perfect gym or comp in walking distance and want everything on your dooorstep that just sounds lazy and you cant be arsed . Do you work ? the must be a commute there .

I have to agree travelling to comps is a pain in the butt and then your hanging round all day. I think if you enjoy all that then go for it but personally it not my thing I would rather test my self in the gym against my instructor or higher grades I know its not quite the same but it will do for me.

the whole grading/competing thing to be honest your instructor is just there to teach you jiujitsu and wheather you compete or not he will still see your level and grade accordingly ok guys who compete will normally climb the ladder faster but who cares? but one thing is you shouldent be held back or forced to compete at any club.

“The Jiu-Jitsu that I created was designed to give the weak ones a chance to face the heavy and strong. It was so successful that they decided to create a sportive version of it. I would like to make it clear that of course I am in favor of the sportive practice and technical refinement of all athletes, whatever their specialty may be, as well as good nutrition, sexual control, avoidance of addictions and unhealthy habits. The problem lies in the creation of a sport-oriented Jiu-Jitsu, based on rules and time limits, which benefits the heavier, stronger, and more athletic individuals. The primary objective of Jiu-Jitsu is to empower the weak who, for not having the physical attributes, are often intimidated. My Jiu-Jitsu is an art of self-defense in which rules and time limits are unacceptable. These are the reasons for which I can’t support events that reflect an anti Jiu-Jitsu.”

-Grand Master Helio Gracie (October 1, 1913 – January 29, 2009)
    food for thought right there