Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BJJ question

Yes of course it is? some people train for fitness and self defence others train for sport. I'ts quite possible to get to black belt with out competing

The user is called 'Pedro suk'. Err, what are the chances this is RJD again. Geezer just can't help being an arsehole! It's like an illness with him or something!

I think this a GREAT way to show your ability and who can question pedro sauer

^^^ really?

John Danaher.

There, I've invoked the BJJ equivalent of Godwin's law. This thread can now die peacefully in its sleep.

John Danaher BJJ Info
    John Danaher Lineage: Mitsuyo Maeda > Carlos Gracie > Helio Gracie > Carlos Gracie Jr > Renzo Gracie > John Danaher
    John Danaher Main Competitive Achievements: No Record
    John Danaher Team/Association: Renzo Gracie Academy
    ''fren, purple must smash people. SMASH THEM.
    that is hequirement for purple
    purple belt dangerus man
    if purple belt cannot smash he not real purple'' Creonte

Quote Originally Posted by dave coles View Post
    Not possible at my club
    What if they've only competed once or twice and the pressure has got to them and they've not fared too well? Would it still be possible if they gained the relevant level of knowledge/expertise appropriate would you still grade them?
    Pedro Bessa BJJ Bristol. Sweatbox MMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by God of CW View Post
    God likes head kick knock outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    What if they've only competed once or twice and the pressure has got to them and they've not fared too well? Would it still be possible if they gained the relevant level of knowledge/expertise appropriate would you still grade them?
    Hi Gareth

They would have to compete some more and learn to deal with the pressure.

Dave

I am kinda having trouble with this kind of methodology if a paying student just wishes to learn BJJ for self defence is he left at white belt in your club? or just pushed to the back of the que as someone who just helps to pay the club rent?. I think theres more to a belt than how many medals you have

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    I am kinda having trouble with this kind of methodology if a paying student just wishes to learn BJJ for self defence is he left at white belt in your club? or just pushed to the back of the que as someone who just helps to pay the club rent?. I think theres more to a belt than how many medals you have
    Don't let it worry you. If you are progressing, but your instructor won't promote you purely because you don't compete, then you'll just be a white belt who can tap higher grades.

Fine by me.