Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: BJJ question

Quote Originally Posted by Raoh View Post
    that sounds like a lame excuse mate . Nobody enjoys long commutes . The basis of what you are saying is that you dont compete or train cause you dont have the perfect gym or comp in walking distance and want everything on your dooorstep that just sounds lazy and you cant be arsed . Do you work ? the must be a commute there .
    lol yeah I know it sounds lame and lazy, because it is lame and lazy.

I do train mind you, but I detest having to take buses and tubes to get there. I still do it though coz I'm a real trooper haha.

However the idea of traipsing the length and breath of the country, then having to wait around all day to compete, combined with some of the dreadful stories of poorly run competitions I've heard just completely turns me off competing. If I were to compete then it would be in the Carlsons comps, the Lutre Livre comps, or Hereford comps as I've only heard good things about them. If only they'd come and set up some mats in my front garden lol.......

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    I have to agree travelling to comps is a pain in the butt and then your hanging round all day.
    There is not much that can be done about the travelling, other than just attending events that are reasonably close to you, and with the amount of events already planned for 2011 that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

With regards to 'hanging around all day' I absolutely agree that at some events this can be the case, however, some events do actually run on time. At these you could spend as little as 2 - 3hours at the competition (but not if you are in the White or Blue -76)

“The Jiu-Jitsu that I created was designed to give the weak ones a chance to face the heavy and strong. It was so successful that they decided to create a sportive version of it. I would like to make it clear that of course I am in favor of the sportive practice and technical refinement of all athletes, whatever their specialty may be, as well as good nutrition, sexual control, avoidance of addictions and unhealthy habits. The problem lies in the creation of a sport-oriented Jiu-Jitsu, based on rules and time limits, which benefits the heavier, stronger, and more athletic individuals. The primary objective of Jiu-Jitsu is to empower the weak who, for not having the physical attributes, are often intimidated. My Jiu-Jitsu is an art of self-defense in which rules and time limits are unacceptable. These are the reasons for which I can’t support events that reflect an anti Jiu-Jitsu.”

-Grand Master Helio Gracie (October 1, 1913 – January 29, 2009)
    With the greatest of respect for the work and wisdom of Grand Master Helio, this does not really concern me, my lineage is Mitsuo Maeda > Carlos Gracie > Carlos Gracie Jnr > Braulio Estima.

Whilst competition have value for bjj and grading I don't think they are the be all and end all. Its only a 5-10 minute snapshot of someone's grade, we've all had epic rolls with a similar grade I'm sure that finally ended in a sub that would have a been a narrow points victory/defeat/draw in competition.

Dave, your website says grades are only awarded to those who have demonstrated techniques in a competative environment - would sparring not count as competitive, I would have thought it would?
    Yo Rashad - do you want fries with that?

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Whilst competition have value for bjj and grading I don't think they are the be all and end all. Its only a 5-10 minute snapshot of someone's grade, we've all had epic rolls with a similar grade I'm sure that finally ended in a sub that would have a been a narrow points victory/defeat/draw in competition.
    QUOTE]
    Hi Ben, using my previous example of my fighter having 8 fights at the English Open, that hardly gave me a 'snapshot' of his grade (ability).

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Dave, your website says grades are only awarded to those who have demonstrated techniques in a competative environment - would sparring not count as competitive, I would have thought it would?
    No, I do not count sparring as 'competitive' for the purpose of grading. In my opinion, rolling in the club against your team-mates is a lot different to fighting someone from another academy in the heat of competition.

Other BB's do, and I am not saying that is wrong. It is just not the way that I do it.
    Last edited by dave coles; 27-12-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave coles View Post
    John Danaher was awarded his BB by Renzo, as I stated earlier I am not questioning the grading methodology of any BJJ BB, let alone Renzo!!
    But if he trained with your club would he still be a whitebelt? Exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis
    ''fren, purple must smash people. SMASH THEM.
    that is hequirement for purple
    purple belt dangerus man
    if purple belt cannot smash he not real purple'' Creonte

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    But if he trained with your club would he still be a whitebelt? Exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis
    Andy

Although Danaher does appear to be an exception to my grading methodology (the rule). In his case my grading rule does not apply. So my rule is shown to be valid after all

Dave

Ross

I think its a great idea to compete for everyone, whether you want to be a fighter or just for self defence as Dave mentioned earlier doing the comps, mma fights even doorwork helps make you ready to handle the pressure/ adrenaline/ fight or flight so if you ever do get in a life or death situation you can be confident everything will work.

I've always liked Dave and really respect his views posted above, hope to get down and train with him in the new year.

I can't really comment on the promotions side as I must be in the running for longest held blue belt and have seen many people I was a higher than over take me, most of the time I'm really pleased for the people, others not so much but its not upto me to question any black belt on his promotions.

What about this though as I know some guys who have competed and even placed medals but always loosing everey match, sometimes there's only 3 people in their weight. Should their comp experience mean any more or less than people who are winning every event?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    What about this though as I know some guys who have competed and even placed medals but always loosing everey match, sometimes there's only 3 people in their weight. Should their comp experience mean any more or less than people who are winning every event?
    That describes me to a tee - have we met?

James

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tapsalot View Post
    That describes me to a tee - have we met?

James
    Don't you know who he is?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    A very valid point Ross and something I had happen last year. In January 2010 two of my guys went out to the IBJJF Europeans, a friend of theirs (who has trained BJJ about 10 times in 2 years) was going out to support them, but ended up entering the comp. In a category of 4, he lost his first fight and his second opponent did not show. He was 'awarded' the Bronze medal.

Now some people might automatically think using my grading requirements a Bronze medal at the Europeans must be worth a stripe or two?

He is still a 0 stripe White Belt.