Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: BJJ question

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Don't you know who he is?
    Yeah I do, I was only joking as that description sums up my competition career thus far.

James

To be honest I believe you should be graded on your technical ability and the application of those techniques.If you perform in a competition you shoud be able to perform on the mat as well.If you decide you couldnt be bothered to compete well then thats up to you.In my old club there wasnt any pressure at all to compete,in fact most did not and were pretty damn tough.
    I do believe in competing and testing yourself as it almost forces you to have focus and a game plan.So to answer your question no you shouldnt have to compete to further your stripes and belts.But make sure you smash the guys that do compete yeah.........and then casually say hmm competings just not my thing and carry on rolling.

i think if you want to grade, you should have to compete. does it matters if you win or lose. if your a serious competitor maybe but if your just a guy doing it for a hobby whats the harm it could do. at our club people are encouraged to compete not forced but veryone who has came in the gym and trained regular has had a go in competition and enjoyed it.

some people or never going to make great competititors but atleast you can so you had a go and will help your instrutor see your level and help him decide if you can be promoted.

personally i love competiting, its awesome!!!
    MMA (9-2 8 subs) Sponsored Athlete under Tatami Fight Wear, G&S welterweight champion

If you joined a football team, would you go to practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays and then not compete on a sunday?

Week in, week out, through rain or shine, tough cardio sessions, tactics, set positions, only to say to the guys that you train with -"you know, I dont really like football games that much, but I like practising to play!"

I'd throw that weirdo a funny look too!

BJJ is not a sport its a martial art the sporting part is an off shoot. I know one hell of a lot of people who train Muay Thai but few compete because its full contact I wonder how many would rush to fight BJJ if it were valetudo rules. The gracies used to fight NO points or time limits? as we are all up holding the tradition of the gracies maybe we all should fight no holds barred at least once to get a black belt?.

Ross

I agree everyone should have a 'rio heroes' rules fight before every promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    BJJ is not a sport its a martial art the sporting part is an off shoot. I know one hell of a lot of people who train Muay Thai but few compete because its full contact I wonder how many would rush to fight BJJ if it were valetudo rules. The gracies used to fight NO points or time limits? as we are all up holding the tradition of the gracies maybe we all should fight no holds barred at least once to get a black belt?.
    I would, A lot of people I know would.

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    ..... I know one hell of a lot of people who train Muay Thai but few compete because its full contact
    I have a very limited background when it comes to Muay Thai, but in my opinion, anyone training non-contact Muay Thai, is not actually training Muay Thai.

LOL I think you miss understood me mate when you train Muay Thai its never full contact but when you fight it is. I would imagine its the same for MMA no way could you train full contact but when you fight it is. With BJJ its a pure grappling art with no strikes and no real danger when competing thats why alot of regular people do it who would never compete in a striking art.

I have had more injuries from bjj comps than mma!

Surley its about time for a comment from Creonte on this... it would finish my year off on a high!!!!!!
    ''fren, purple must smash people. SMASH THEM.
    that is hequirement for purple
    purple belt dangerus man
    if purple belt cannot smash he not real purple'' Creonte