Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: BJJ question

i have a question for dave coles:

hi dave,
    would you really have a white belt at your club who trains regularly at your classes, attends sparring and during which crushes almost everyone he rolls with (including purples/even browns) - not with strength, but with awesome technique - and never give him a promotion solely because he doesn't do competitions?

not trolling - genuine question, mate...
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by markjitsu View Post
    i have a question for dave coles:

hi dave,
    would you really have a white belt at your club who trains regularly at your classes, attends sparring and during which crushes almost everyone he rolls with (including purples/even browns) - not with strength, but with awesome technique - and never give him a promotion solely because he doesn't do competitions?

not trolling - genuine question, mate...

Hi Mark

thank you for the question.

The short answer is 99.9% yes.

Note there is a 0.1% chance of him being promoted, so to expand on your scenario, what is the reason this White Belt does not enter competitions?

Dave

And they shouldn't have to, it is martial arts, the belt represents the knowledge they possess...

Quote Originally Posted by david5 View Post
    lol bets on last star fighter not having done thai ever....
    I have attended Muay Thai classes at some very reputable gyms and drilled techniques, done a shit load of padwork too. However I have never sparred full contact Muay Thai. I was under the impression that I was training Muay Thai but perhaps you're right, maybe I was just pretending lol?

Quote Originally Posted by dave coles View Post
    Hi Mark

thank you for the question.

The short answer is 99.9% yes.

Note there is a 0.1% chance of him being promoted, so to expand on your scenario, what is the reason this White Belt does not enter competitions?

Dave
    My Jits is shit & I cant wait to get training for the events planned in Scotland this year, so if I had a blue/ purple belt worthy training partner who didnt want to compete id find it very strange. Maybe thats cause I like the competition aspect & getting to put into practice what ive learnt, despite shamefully losing every outing!

If the coach suspected it was big fish in a little pond syndrome & guy was scared to compete he may deem him not worthy of higher rank because of that?

Maybe, the instructor is proud of his lineage & would want to have a strong lineage coming from himself, ie guys that win competitions, have respect from other gyms etc. So would not promote because he feels itll look like hes dishin out blues to anyone with a monthly membership & an expensive gi?

LOL at the guy who bolded "arts" and ignored the word "martial" - its fighting and fighting is competitive. Theory is never the same as applied science.

The point is this IMO:

Imagine the scariest ever gym monster finally decides to compete and wets themself, vomits before the match and loses 2kg in coldsweat then gets smashed to bits in the first round.

Thats great! Because if you have a brain how can you fail to learn something about yourself to go forward in all areas of development regardless of the result? I guess some people love to do things that are uncomfortable just to prove to themselves that they can do anything if they put their mind to it.

Giving up before you even started, or giving up whilst the going gets a little tough is not the way at my academy, its not the Jiu-Jitsu way and its not the way of Britains either!
    www.temperwear.co.uk Predator Fightwear CrossFit Northampton Maximum Nutrition

Quote Originally Posted by zefff View Post
    LOL at the guy who bolded "arts" and ignored the word "martial" - its fighting and fighting is competitive. Theory is never the same as applied science.
    I wanted to emphasise one thing in specific, hence me bolding arts. I don't understand what is so "LOL" about that?
    Perhaps if you didn't skip every English class you had, you would know it is quite a common practice.

Quote Originally Posted by zefff
    its not the Jiu-Jitsu way and its not the way of Britains either!

Who are these Britains you speak of?

What the hell does giving up have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by thaison View Post
    Not everyone wants to compete.
    in which case I would ask him, why he does not want to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkne$s View Post
    And they shouldn't have to, it is martial arts, the belt represents the knowledge they possess...
    In the strictest of Japanese definitions, BJJ and Judo are not Martial Arts, they are Martial Ways.

I have the 'knowledge' to be great in lots of sports.

e.g.

if I was playing for Chelsea and their winger crossed the ball to me on the edge of the box I would control it with my chest and volley the ball into the top corner of the net. I have the knowledge to do that, but could I actually do it for real?