Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any T.V / Teck nerds on here.

Default Any T.V / Teck nerds on here.

Just wondering if any one is knowledgeable about T.V's on here.

I am torn between

This TV

http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/product...Fc0e4Qodwwsupw

And this TV

http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/lg-50pk...77733-pdt.html

I don't mind paying the extra for the bigger one but I would rather have a smaller TV if the quality is going to be better.

Can any one help me decide?

both are full HD

Plasma produced a better picture than LED, however the LED will outlast the Plasma

I'd go with the Plasma myself
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

Do you want to wall hang the TV? The plasma will be significantly thicker and much heavier than the LED. Try looking online for some reviews of the sets - get the opinions of people who own the sets.

The LED may outlast the Plasma but the days of Plasmas burning out after a few years are long gone - both will last 10+ years of normal viewing - few people have the same TV for that length of time now.

The 50" Plasma has better HD performance then the 42" LCD
    http://www.isaninja.co.uk

Not going to hang it as I rent where I am living, I have checked out reviews for the 50" on amazon and all seem ok, but when you are spending a lot of money on a tv even one bad review will leave a bad taste in your mouth if you know what i mean.

I have been reading up for a while on HDTV's but every times I seem to start getting the hang of what to look for some one will say something about some other aspect of the TV.

I had been told LCD was better than plasma in currys, but I have read on other sites there is not much difference.

Probably gonna sway towards the 50"

Probably gonna light my living room up like blackpool tho LOL

Quote Originally Posted by the mid 90's View Post
    Not going to hang it as I rent where I am living, I have checked out reviews for the 50" on amazon and all seem ok, but when you are spending a lot of money on a tv even one bad review will leave a bad taste in your mouth if you know what i mean.

I have been reading up for a while on HDTV's but every times I seem to start getting the hang of what to look for some one will say something about some other aspect of the TV.

I had been told LCD was better than plasma in currys, but I have read on other sites there is not much difference.

Probably gonna sway towards the 50"

Probably gonna light my living room up like blackpool tho LOL
    Half the idiots in Currys don't know the difference between a TV and a toaster!

Plasmas are "old" technology now but a decent set is still a bloody good TV. The biggest issue normally is the thickness and weight when compared to the equivalent screen size LCD or LED (LED thinner than even LCD)

Plasmas did have the advantage years ago due to being able to show darker blacks and lighter whites but LEDs especially have managed to close the gap in that regard.

The only thing I would say with either is that the speakers are not brilliant but you would be better off in the long term getting a seperate sound system anyway as most TV speakers struggle to do great sound no matter what you spend.

The other important question nis what are you going to be watching on it? If it is Blurays and HD TV then great but I heard loads of people moan that their new all singing all dancing TV didn't make Corrie look any better - no shit, you are still watching via analogue standard definition! At least analogue is now gone so the quality of picture should be better due to a digital signal.

Cheers Fang face.

Apparently I talked to the "tv expert' in currys LOL

The only thing I will be really bothered about actually watching in HD is the UFC on ESPN, and then using it for games.

I do have blu ray but its not my main priority.

I just dont want to get a set and this it be completely obcelite with in a few months, I know that's going to happen no matter what I buy tho LOL.

I don't know much about tellies, but I bought this about a month or two ago:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-42LD450-4.../dp/B003H1048C

& I think it's fantastic. I was upgrading from a 23 or so inch CRT though.
    The mind of the believer stagnates. It fails to grow outward into an unlimited, infinite universe.

top of the range lcd's produce a crisper image than plasmas, however all plasmas look awesome - budget lcd's look terrible - what is the refresh rate for the led?
    if below 600hz i'd defo go with the plasma...
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by markjitsu View Post
    top of the range lcd's produce a crisper image than plasmas, however all plasmas look awesome - budget lcd's look terrible - what is the refresh rate for the led?
    if below 600hz i'd defo go with the plasma...
    You can't really compare the LCD to Plasma using the hz rating - you are comparing different technologies.

Generally plasmas refresh quick than LCD's - 1 m/s versus anything from 3 to 6 m/s for a decent TV. This means that in fast moving scenes in films or when watching films the image is likely to seem to tear - giving jagged edges to objects.

LCD TV makers started with lots of different mhz marketing claims where a 120hz TV was far better than a standard 60hz one. The guys marketing the plasmas came back with the 600mhz claim to counter the LCD claims.

It's all about dividing the screen into fields and processing them so 10 fields @ 60hz = 600hz.

Generally speaking a TV with a high hz number or low m/s second number is better but it isn't the reason to buy one tv over another - it's just one factor in a minefield of different features available.