Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lineage

Hybrid View

Default Lineage

Im not convinced about the whole lineage concept as to say well this is our lineage and this is the way we fight etc.Good example is where Gracie barra uses the de la riva guard when it came from de la riva who's was a carlson guy.All the techniques are copied,stolen,re invented or improved,swapped.Where did the double leg take down come from Bjj?but its in the syllabus.Not to mention that everybody has a different style.Ie pulling guard or half guard is not a carlson thing to do yet ive seen carlson fighters do it.Its a constantly progressing and moving art.Can someone define the parameters of what lineage is meant to be or mean in bjj?

I think the point of lineage is prove the legitimacy of the person who is coaching/awarding belts rather than any particular techniques, as you said everyone uses the same techniques just each gym tends to have a slightly different style of applying them.
    Pedro Bessa BJJ Bristol. Sweatbox MMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by God of CW View Post
    God likes head kick knock outs.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftMotion View Post
    Im not convinced about the whole lineage concept as to say well this is our lineage and this is the way we fight etc.Good example is where Gracie barra uses the de la riva guard when it came from de la riva who's was a carlson guy.All the techniques are copied,stolen,re invented or improved,swapped.Where did the double leg take down come from Bjj?but its in the syllabus.Not to mention that everybody has a different style.Ie pulling guard or half guard is not a carlson thing to do yet ive seen carlson fighters do it.Its a constantly progressing and moving art.Can someone define the parameters of what lineage is meant to be or mean in bjj?
    Lineage has nothing to do with the techniques used.
    Rob McCrum, Pro BW. www.bjjscotland.co.uk

Like the other posters have said, lineage is about proof your grade is legit. Everyone who has a grade in BJJ should be able to trace their lineage to Mitsuyo Maeda. In most cases the lineage will go to a member of the Gracie Family, but there are exceptions eg. Oswaldo Fadda, who trained directly under Maeda, and who also has his own lineage....

My lineage for example is Me > Ze Marcello > Sergio 'Bolao' Souza/Murilo Bustamante > Carlson Gracie > Carlos Gracie > Mitsuyo Maeda...

If you say you have a belt/grade in BJJ, but cannot declare your lineage, then you are a FAKE.... Check the BJJ Police section on the EFN Forum for examples of people with fake BJJ grades who have been exposed because they cannot declare their lineage.... If you fancy a laugh check the Bridlington Karate thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Jogs D View Post
    Like the other posters have said, lineage is about proof your grade is legit. Everyone who has a grade in BJJ should be able to trace their lineage to Mitsuyo Maeda. In most cases the lineage will go to a member of the Gracie Family, but there are exceptions eg. Oswaldo Fadda, who trained directly under Maeda, and who also has his own lineage....

My lineage for example is Me > Ze Marcello > Sergio 'Bolao' Souza/Murilo Bustamante > Carlson Gracie > Carlos Gracie > Mitsuyo Maeda...

If you say you have a belt/grade in BJJ, but cannot declare your lineage, then you are a FAKE.... Check the BJJ Police section on the EFN Forum for examples of people with fake BJJ grades who have been exposed because they cannot declare their lineage.... If you fancy a laugh check the Bridlington Karate thread!
    I think you are mistaken here. you have it the wrong way round. unless of course you did give ze marcello a belt?

Quote Originally Posted by vileniall View Post
    I think you are mistaken here. you have it the wrong way round. unless of course you did give ze marcello a belt?
    He obviously got the arrows the wrong way round!

Quote Originally Posted by J90 View Post
    He obviously got the arrows the wrong way round!
    after careful examination, I have concluded that you are indeed right, the arrows are the wrong way around.

you know what he means stop upping your post count :P
    ICON Jiu Jitsu

The only bars i go to are Arm Bars, Knee Bars and a Mars Bar

my lineage is all screwed up - i've been promoted different belts by different people with different lineages - i don't know who i am anymore...
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

you're the latest lineage, creonte
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer