Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some more BJJ History

Quote Originally Posted by shakus maximus View Post
    frens i to am like carlson. if kid cant afford then kid dont pay.
    i only wish my jiu jitsu was like carlson. lol
    The fact that Shakey does this, as Carlson did many years ago, speaks volumes about the man. It is one of the many reasons I am proud that Tillery Combat BJJ Team is affiliiated to me.

A lot of the team lived in a tiny apartment in LA with Carlson for a long time.Apparently the neighbours thought they were all gay.

And Rodrigo Medeiros (who lived there too) took 6 years (i think i remember him saying)to go from Purple to Brown even though he was winning everything.

Quote Originally Posted by dave coles View Post
    The fact that Shakey does this, as Carlson did many years ago, speaks volumes about the man. It is one of the many reasons I am proud that Tillery Combat BJJ Team is affiliiated to me.
    I am very impressed by that.Jiu Jitsu is for everyone,rich and poor and Shaky is doing great things for his community.OOOOSSS Shaky.

I hope there are lots more clubs doing similar things. I know of a few and it really is great. BJJ Schools future champions program springs to mind.
    www.temperwear.co.uk Predator Fightwear CrossFit Northampton Maximum Nutrition

if i recall correctly the neighbours thought they were all gay and carlson was a pimp/sugar daddy being surrounded by all these buff dudes lol.

didn;t he hold rodrigo back because of his ego or something to teach him a lesson? i cant remember the exact story though
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

I am very impressed by that.Jiu Jitsu is for everyone,rich and poor and Shaky is doing great things for his community.OOOOSSS Shaky.
    thank you both for your kind words.
    I live in a borough called Blaenau Gwent which is arguably the poorest county in the Uk. I grew up with a single mother who had no money so i know what it feels like to want to do something but not be in a position to afford to do it.
    In my community it is very close knit where everyone knows everyone, so I know which youngsters genuinely cant afford the classes.
    I would love a 1 for everyone that says to me "Is it ok if I pay you double next week Shake". lol. I am fortunate to have financial support grants from the Princes Trust and YOS which means I can accomadate the youngsters that struggle to pay.
    My payment is the satisfaction they give me from watching them progress.
    Last edited by shakus maximus; 05-01-2011 at 01:31 PM.