Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lineage Question for BJJ Geeks/Black Belts

Hybrid View

Default Lineage Question for BJJ Geeks/Black Belts

Was explaining Lineage to another martial artist the other day and came up with a theoretical situation I couldn't answer.

I know that your Lineage is that of the Black Belt who gave you your last grade so if you are a creonte your lineage can 'change' if you switch clubs and receive a new belt

So if X goes through all their grades with a particular instructor/team but then after receiving their Black belt they change their affliation to a new team/instructor with a different lineage, some time after this Y starts training BJJ with X when Y gets their first grade from X what will Y's lineage be??

X's lineage from their old team or their new team??

Yes a very geeky question I know (and completely ignoring the should they be changing teams at black belt etc etc) Thank you in advance!
    Proud to be sponsored by tatamifightwear.com

Hi Pippa,

The answer is this,you can't change your lineage once you're awarded a Black Belt.

You can change teams,of course,but your lineage is there for life.

Whoever awards you the Black Belt is your lineage.

And if,years down the line,you award a Black Belt the student who receives it also inherits your lineage.

It's like a family- Even if you're the black sheep of the family and are disowned,or leave forever,they are still your family.

Well BJJ lineage is the same.

So,my advice is this to anyone reading this,make sure you receive your Black Belt from the person you want it to come from
    because once someone else ties it around your waist you will be seen as their Black Belt forever.

Do other martial arts take lineage as seriously as BJJ?

boxingbrit

I know people laugh at it but Ninjitsu do from what i have read.

Wing Chun are far far worse. @_@
    Grappling Record: 215 W (134 SUBs) - 85 L (13 SUBs) - 2 D
    Amateur MMA Record: 15 W (14 SUBs) - 0 L - 2 D

The Jiujitsu Game - A Competitor's Videolog

Proudly sponsored by Black Eagle & Scramble

Quote Originally Posted by Stalkachu View Post
    Wing Chun are far far worse. @_@
    Far worse. I can tell stories of a fat weirdo in Tottenham who teaches Wing Chun...

James

Is his name Sid Sofos, perchance?
    Grappling Record: 215 W (134 SUBs) - 85 L (13 SUBs) - 2 D
    Amateur MMA Record: 15 W (14 SUBs) - 0 L - 2 D

The Jiujitsu Game - A Competitor's Videolog

Proudly sponsored by Black Eagle & Scramble

Quote Originally Posted by Stalkachu View Post
    Is his name Sid Sofos, perchance?
    Certainly is! Had the dubious pleasure of training with him then?

James

Sid Sofos... that name ringed a bell, then I remembered LOLing over his vids a few years back! He is another level of madness! BWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAA!!!

This below is real talk though.

There is a real Instructor/Student relationship where someone mentors your development and helps you personally through sticking points and low points and shares your successes with you.

And when it is time to be awarded a belt,you know exactly who is awarding you that belt as it is tied around your waist.

This is why i love BJJ,but it is also why the ronin/creonte types find it absurd.
    www.temperwear.co.uk Predator Fightwear CrossFit Northampton Maximum Nutrition

I wouldn't laugh at a ninja.