Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Who uses Wrestling the best in mma?

  1. #11

    Default

    Nope. Which is weird. Imagine how good he'd have been if he did. Getting invited to one of the best Olympic wrestling teams after only starting in your early 20s.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atlasmma View Post
    Nope. Which is weird. Imagine how good he'd have been if he did. Getting invited to one of the best Olympic wrestling teams after only starting in your early 20s.
    He didn't get invited to the team he got invited to the trials, i'd wager good money on him not beating matt gentry at 74kg, he trains with members of the squad and he trains freestyle which helps as he doesn't become a funk/ bjj type wrestler from folkstyle who relies on reversals and scrambles to score, its all takedown, takedown defence and positioning. Askren beat gentry at the schultz competition so I'd think in time askren would beat gsp and in a folkstyle match askren beat jake herbert(world silver medalist freestyle 84kg) a few days ago, but i worry about his style of wrestling and mma.

  3. #13
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Glasgow / Stockholm
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gbdaz View Post
    He didn't get invited to the team he got invited to the trials, i'd wager good money on him not beating matt gentry at 74kg, he trains with members of the squad and he trains freestyle which helps as he doesn't become a funk/ bjj type wrestler from folkstyle who relies on reversals and scrambles to score, its all takedown, takedown defence and positioning. Askren beat gentry at the schultz competition so I'd think in time askren would beat gsp and in a folkstyle match askren beat jake herbert(world silver medalist freestyle 84kg) a few days ago, but i worry about his style of wrestling and mma.
    There's plenty of good ex folkstylers who are great at freestyle as well. They (yanks) have grabbed a few medals in the olympics.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkne$s View Post
    There's plenty of good ex folkstylers who are great at freestyle as well. They (yanks) have grabbed a few medals in the olympics.
    There are a few from back in the day, but that was when Iran wouldn't compete due to the revolution, azerbeijan and other soviet states were still part of the soviet union and there was a clear control of committees by russia and the us, like russia has now, they do have good freestylers they are bound to with the mass of the wrestlers they have, but they get a lot of wrestlers that are too scrambling based, like volkmann the was a big 10 champ and 3 time all american but doesn't look like a wrestler at all and was out wrestled by paulo thiago.
    Very few(next to none) of their best freestylers enter mma, off the top off my head, coleman, kevin jackson(very brief), king mo and ben askren.

  5. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Glasgow / Stockholm
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gbdaz View Post
    Very few(next to none) of their best freestylers enter mma, off the top off my head, coleman, kevin jackson(very brief), king mo and ben askren.
    True but then again how many top iranian and azerbajani wrestlers do you see in MMA?

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkne$s View Post
    True but then again how many top iranian and azerbajani wrestlers do you see in MMA?
    Most probably don't know mma even exists, all their lives they've know one thing, wrestling, if they chose to do mma they'd be right at the top the style of the Iranians and cubans particularly suit mma, very agressive, athletic style.
    this is a good example of cuban style, very athletic(against a world silver medalist)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGQEWCqWXAE
    iranian style agressive and technical(against a world bronze medalist in this match)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf-qSfGMV0Q

    perfect example of a collegiate/ funky style wrestler vs cuban international wrestler
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZKkBjtRAX4
    After all my rambling i'd say the person who uses wrestling best is cain in mma dominates people with it and after seeing him take down a high level and heavier wrestler in lesnar who could have done well on an international stage imo, unlike st.pierre's opponents the best wrestler he faced was koscheck who couldn't get past the quarters at US nationals, the best wrestler in mma imo is king mo or an in shape 96kg cormier both competed on international stage and beat very good international wrestlers, cormier being a world bronze medalist, mulitple time world and olympic 4/5th place taker.
    Last edited by Gbdaz; 07-01-2011 at 05:30 PM.

  7. #17

    Default

    Randy Coulture should be mentioned here. Watched Coulture vs Brock again last night, his wrestling looked brillient, expecially giving up 50 odd pounds.

    For me overal though I'd say Cain Valasquez has the best wrestling for MMA. He uses it defensively, offensively, to get back up, to control from the top, constantly shifting from technique to technique. His win over Brock was largely due to his wrestling. And the way he got really badly rocked a couple of times against Kongo and was able to take him down smoothly each time. Perfect control. He makes his opponents look like they've never practiced takedown defence!

    Oh, and Fitch is pretty damn good :-)
    Fitch's fan

  8. #18

    Default

    In MMA today IMO it would be GSP>Cain>Sonnen

    However, at his best, Matt Hughes has the best wrestling for MMA I have ever seen, particularly given the quality of opponent he has faced over the years.

  9. #19

    Default

    Askren's a really good call. Just coz noone else has I'm gonna throw out Jake Shields. I can't stand watching any of them personally, but Sean Sherk, Antonio McKee and Nick Lenz all deserve a mention I suppose, as their styles are so wrestling-centric and they do win fights.
    Thanks for posting those vids btw Gbdaz, interesting stuff
    B-A-K-A-S-U-R-V-I-V-O-R

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    In MMA today IMO it would be GSP>Cain>Sonnen

    However, at his best, Matt Hughes has the best wrestling for MMA I have ever seen, particularly given the quality of opponent he has faced over the years.
    I cant agree with that, he struggled with Sherk, BJ, Trigg and GSP in the wrestling department. Very good wrestler but not the best.
    Start Wrestling

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.