• semi pro / pro

7 18.92%
  • just pro

13 35.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood Testing?

Hybrid View

Default Blood Testing?

Hey guys was just wondering on your views on blood testing in am mma events?

I understand the costs involved for a promoter would be huge if they paid for all the fighters tests but would it be possible to get an aaids test done via the nhs (each fighter is responsible for there own) and state that to compete the aids test cn be no older than say 2weeks before the fight etc?

does this sound like good idea?

to begin with i would say that semi pro and pro should have this as the likelyhood of cuts at am level (no headshots) are unlikly (from wht i have seen).

whats your veiws on this?
    KETTERING SHOOTFIGHTERS, semi pro 1-1-0

I, as a fighter would be for it, no question about it.

Was just thinking about this tonight and it bothered me thinking that an opponent I face may have some nasty little surprise and i'm putting myself at risk to fight for a measly 3 figures.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get such testing done?

Test is free but I don't know if the NHS ever gives you a paper showing you've tested negative.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJuice View Post
    I, as a fighter would be for it, no question about it.

Was just thinking about this tonight and it bothered me thinking that an opponent I face may have some nasty little surprise and i'm putting myself at risk to fight for a measly 3 figures.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get such testing done?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkne$s View Post
    Test is free but I don't know if the NHS ever gives you a paper showing you've tested negative.
    i know you can ask for an std cert when u go n get checked out but not sure if they do with an aids test as never had one done i would imagine they either send you the results via a letter or u could ask for a quick print out from the doc etc when u get the results.

im suprised there isnt already sumthing like this in place with the iska etc as they seem to sanction alot of the local mma shows.

Itd be great to see blood testing, brain scans all that kinda stuff. If it added a 5 to ticket prices then itd be worth it, after all most spectators are there to see theirs friends/ team mates etc. Money is prob what stops this happening, either purses would need to go up for fighters to pay for it or promoters need to pay. Either way, spectators would foot the bill.

Does play at the back of your mind cause you dont want a nasty blood disease cause of a fight!

Out of interest, im sure Amateur Boxing has this stuff, who pays for that?

Quote Originally Posted by NoGiCorbarian View Post
    i know you can ask for an std cert when u go n get checked out but not sure if they do with an aids test as never had one done i would imagine they either send you the results via a letter or u could ask for a quick print out from the doc etc when u get the results.

im suprised there isnt already sumthing like this in place with the iska etc as they seem to sanction alot of the local mma shows.
    You can ask your GP to give u a cert but I dont think he is obliged to do so. I've heard about people going to work in Dubai etc needing them and had their GPs just do it for them no bother, but I have also heard that some were told to go do it privately as it was for business. I guess you can just say you have to show your new partner and they'd have to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkne$s View Post
    I have a bit of paper saying I dont have AIDS, well it says a little more than that but thats the gist of it.

I needed a test when I was getting a mortgage with my brother for my house, Mr & Mr Jose on all the paper work must of set a few alarm bells ringing.

Quote Originally Posted by jose969 View Post
    I have a bit of paper saying I dont have AIDS, well it says a little more than that but thats the gist of it.

I needed a test when I was getting a mortgage with my brother for my house, Mr & Mr Jose on all the paper work must of set a few alarm bells ringing.
    u needed an aids test to get a mortgage?!! wtf???? what bank was that with lol

The Boxing promotions I have been involved with the Fighter has to pay for his own scans and then produce them before the fight. No certs or scans then no fight. Obviously on fight night the fighter will receive a second basic medical given by the Doctor but that is just to ensure he has 2 eyes, 2 arms and can basicaly function and is alive.

Unlicensed , White collar etc I havent seen this happen , its much the same way as MMA

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
    The Boxing promotions I have been involved with the Fighter has to pay for his own scans and then produce them before the fight. No certs or scans then no fight. Obviously on fight night the fighter will receive a second basic medical given by the Doctor but that is just to ensure he has 2 eyes, 2 arms and can basicaly function and is alive.

Unlicensed , White collar etc I havent seen this happen , its much the same way as MMA
    Would be good to see bigger local shows making this standard. After all, if you want to fight & want the larger platform etc itd be worth it. Wouldnt be able to stop smaller shows not making it compulsary, but thatd be up to fighters appearing on their shows.

Couldnt see local NHS clinics being happy about doing this for a gym full of people 2 or 3 times a year. But, a few folk could prob get away with it a couple times. Alomh with a death, the last thing youd want to see is "No holds barred fighter gets AIDS at unlicsenced cage fight"!