17 45.95%
  • semi pro / pro

7 18.92%
  • just pro

13 35.14%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood Testing?

Quote Originally Posted by thai-jitsu View Post
    Couldnt see local NHS clinics being happy about doing this for a gym full of people 2 or 3 times a year. But, a few folk could prob get away with it a couple times. Alomh with a death, the last thing youd want to see is "No holds barred fighter gets AIDS at unlicsenced cage fight"!
    cldnt a promotion get a discount if they sorted a deal out with a private company for the tests work it into a sponsership pack etc i.e they get 30% off the test costs but gree to advertise the bussiness etc
    KETTERING SHOOTFIGHTERS, semi pro 1-1-0

Probably could I suppose. Dont think any fighters would like to be the face of an AIDS test though!

Atleast the skanks at the after party would know the fighters were clean. More chance catching something nasty after fighting than in the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkne$s View Post
    Test is free but I don't know if the NHS ever gives you a paper showing you've tested negative.
    I have a bit of paper saying I dont have AIDS, well it says a little more than that but thats the gist of it.

I needed a test when I was getting a mortgage with my brother for my house, Mr & Mr Jose on all the paper work must of set a few alarm bells ringing.

Quote Originally Posted by jose969 View Post
    I have a bit of paper saying I dont have AIDS, well it says a little more than that but thats the gist of it.

I needed a test when I was getting a mortgage with my brother for my house, Mr & Mr Jose on all the paper work must of set a few alarm bells ringing.
    u needed an aids test to get a mortgage?!! wtf???? what bank was that with lol
    KETTERING SHOOTFIGHTERS, semi pro 1-1-0

i'm aware of the pro's for this.......
    110%.
    Seperate note i was once told if u have an aids test it can severly increase ur life insurance or reduce chance of cover as u are seen to be of risk taking nature?
    stupid but someone in the insurance industry could clear this urban legend up for me. got tested along time back, would have one again if an org. asked for it happily, just hope its via a needle and not....... THE SWAB!!!!!!

i am guessing it would be down to the fighter to produce the relevant paperwork before the fight. It wouldnt be down to the promotion, obviously other rules would be in place about unable to make the fight , being fines for not having the completed paperwork, this could go down as a loss, etc etc. maybe the governing body would fine the promoter if all these are not in place, who knows. I will check the BBBC rules to see what they have in it ref scans and stuff.

Trouble is you cant just have one rule, you need to have many to police such a thing

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

if this could be done through NHS for all fighters, it would be a great idea

I dont fight yet, but would be happy to take a test any time, no question

for my own safety as much as other fighters

think of it this way... my gym have a cage that is hired out to promoters, all it would take is for one speck of blood from an infected fighter to be on the canvas, corner post, fence, or whatever, this could potentially infect everyone who comes in contact with the blood

if everyone had tests, this would never happen

*PLEASE NOTE OUR CAGE IS CLEANED ON A REGULAR BASIS TO MINIMISE ANY RISK AND FOR BASIC HYGIENE*
    Last edited by Romeoblood; 12-01-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

I have all Pro fighters tested on Fight Ikon events. I am proud to say that I believe my show was the first to do this in the UK other than the UFC; although many others also do now. The risk of transfer of infections in blood increases massively when you have ground n pound, especially with elbows. Standing fighting blood is exiting a wound and difficult to enter but when above someone dripping on their eyes/face or other open cuts etc. the risk increases a lot.

You can have a free test at clinics or some charge between 30-50. I use a private clinic and have testing kits that we can organise ourselves for very little cost. Results are back within 2 days and are completely confidential so do not go on your medical record or effect your insurance in any way.

I believe all pro fights should have these, the UK is massively behind on this compared to other parts of Europe. In the USA I believe fighter tests including CAT & CT scans can cost around 800 just to be eligable to fight and the fighter (or their sponsors) usually bear the costs. Tests for HIV and Hep B & C cost very little if anything. Once you have a clear test certificate it is valid for 12 months in most organisations.

I have had fighters tell me they think it is a waste of time but when I ask them this 1 question the usually see my point: Would you take a fight with somebody if you knew they had HIV?

Quote Originally Posted by adamfromessex View Post
    i'm aware of the pro's for this.......
    Seperate note i was once told if u have an aids test it can severly increase ur life insurance or reduce chance of cover as u are seen to be of risk taking nature?
    Pretty sure that's bullshit. How would an insurance company even know you'd had a test? They're also done as standard for a lot of things, like when you give blood for example, or get pregnant.

100% needed imo. lol at jose969's mortgage comment, explain!