• all mma events

17 45.95%
  • semi pro / pro

7 18.92%
  • just pro

13 35.14%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blood Testing?

its 100 % true that tests for HIV, Hep B and C and cat scans mean its safer to fight. Its only a matter of time before something terrible happens. In Sweden in december greg Knapp had to have blood tests and was given a medical that meant the looked at his heart beat after excerise. Basically a much more thorough medical than ive ever had in the UK which sometimes is just 2 mins filling in a form and having your blood pressure taken. In poland they insist in HIV, Hep tests. In canada it was HIV, Hep tests, and Cat Scan and another brain test which im not sure of the name for and a thorough medical. UK MMA is the wild west of MMA. We have great fighters and teams but terrible organistation other than some stella promotions.

The diversity in MMA in the UK is crazy, some shows are awful, and the fighters they have on there are in no fit state to be fighting, no skills and unfit and possibly HIV, Hep B or Hep C positive but they have a heart beat.

The big promotions in the UK should take the lead and make proving you dont have a blood condition a must. I think if a governing body is far away then it would be a very wise idea for the biggest promotions in the UK to get together and have some sort of trade standard when it comes to the medicals and blood tests.

Someone will get hurt in the end and everyone will be pointing the finger of blame at UK MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    The big promotions in the UK should take the lead and make proving you dont have a blood condition a must. I think if a governing body is far away then it would be a very wise idea for the biggest promotions in the UK to get together and have some sort of trade standard when it comes to the medicals and blood tests.

Someone will get hurt in the end and everyone will be pointing the finger of blame at UK MMA.
    thats a realy good idea anyone know who theese lead shows are in the u.k scene im gunna be seeing james the promoter of battle arena on monday and was thinking of sugesting to him about blood testing for his show as around my area his is now one of the largest.

why dont we get in touch with local promoters with some info for them and put the idea across as fighters the promoters should listen.
    KETTERING SHOOTFIGHTERS, semi pro 1-1-0

It's a great idea. This is ONE thing that definitely needs to be implemented and policed religiously for it to become the standard.
    Last edited by sjharvey; 17-01-2011 at 05:19 AM.

so guys who else is up for approaching local promoters with some info on blood testing and its costs/pros etc and trying to get the ball started?

as i think the best way to do this is for the fighters to say its wanted.
    KETTERING SHOOTFIGHTERS, semi pro 1-1-0

I know refs are tested in the BBBC , i think they plan on doing it with trainers and seconds because of the blood in corners ...

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

piss tests are more cost effective and the procedure is relatively simple.....might be a better option

the nhs is keen to promote increased testing (at least thats what my gp said when i went there last). from what i can gather most shows only require a test to have been taken 3-6 months prior to fight date so thats 2-4 tests a year. dont think thats that huge a burden on the state??