Some (slightly less than expert) UFC 125 observations and opinions
* Why no ex-WEC weights on the main card? The first chance since the merger and even with dropouts the UFC chose not to show them Hope its not a sign of things to come!
* Thiago Silva is back! I hope its a sign of things to come and he's now fully fit and roaring to go, THAT is a very bad man! The way he mocked Vera (although totally unsporstmanlike) had me on the edge of my seat!
* Dong Kim is SOOOOOO fookin boring and despite his record shouldn't be considered anywhere near a title shot! Has only finished one fight in his UFC career and Diaz looked like he wanted to actually finish that fight far more despite spending the whole time on his ass! "I want GSP" ...er....no mate you don't you'd get owned!
* Brian Stann is a beast and a man of honour, the yanks love an 'all american' and i can see his stock soaring. Never in a million years expected him to finish Leben in the first! Only person to ever KO Leben other than Anderson, that's something for the old CV!
* Why am i the only person who doesn't like Clay Guida and finds him boring?! I think he's terrible to watch, yes he moves a lot but he does very little with that movement normally other than score a TD then LnP on the opponant till they get up!? I find his style really awkward to watch (To be fair I probably wouldn't think this if everyone didn't keep going on about how exciting he was!)
* I'm totally gutted for MTB, its going to be hard for him to establish himself at UFC FW after that defeat, i would imagine it puts Nunes right up there within a shout though.
* I scored the title fight 47-47 and thought the draw was the correct result. Do i think they should do it again? No! It's unfair on Pettis and also if Maynard couldn't finish Frankie when he'd got him to that state then he wont finish him again in a rematch, so it'll be another decision which could again be contraversial. I just don't see the point and i REALLY don't want to see Maynard as the standard bearer at 155! I think the UFC should poll the fans on this one and see who actually wants to watch the rematch, after all its all about the ticket/PPV sales.
Good points, but i think if i was Edgar, i'd want to fight Maynard again and beat him because he seems to have his number, fought him twice and hasn't won.
I dont think you understand what lay and pray means.
Originally Posted by Dave78
Wasn't Jose Aldo supposed to fight on the card? That would have been the first WEC weight fight no?
As for the Maynard/Edgar fight. I had it down as a draw myself. 10-8 Maynard, 10-9 Edgar, 10-9 Maynard, 10-9 Edgar, 10-9 Edgar (last very, very close. Almost 10-10 in itself)
They posted the offical score card on the Underground. Don't know if its on here. Can't be arsed to look. All judges had Round 1 to Maynard at 10-8. After that, my god what a MESS. 2 Judges had Round 3 to EDGAR!? How? I can look at the criteria they are supposed to be judging from all day long but I am still baffled how they came to that conclusion.
I know judging is subjective and everyone thinks they can do a better job but anyone with half a MMA brain can score a MMA fight correctly. There is no need to completely over analyse it.
Why can't they just score the round as a whole? Most of the time its pretty easy to judge who won the round and for the times that it is not so easy? Well, the results can't be worse than these peckerheads are making at the moment.
watch the Diaz fight...no attempt from Clay to finish at all, just frustrated the hell out of him!
Originally Posted by StoooV2
4 finishes in his last 5 fights.
Yep that guy is just laying on top of them grinding out decisions Clay "the blanket" guida.
Originally Posted by Berser_KED
everyone had the first 10-8
i then had round 3 to maynard and am shocked how many people scored it to edgar, it was very close but maynard got the deciding factor in the take down.
i had the score 48-46 maynard or 47-47 depending on the final round which was very close to call. i didnt see edgar winning it at all hence i have no issue with a rematch.
"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
I love Clay Guida. It's like watching a big, dumb labrador in the ring.
im with Dave78, the diaz/guida fight from 94 really turned me off Guida, but i'm starting to warm to him again now