Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stripes in BJJ

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
    Using all strength and no technique, ragging your opponent all over. Trying to power out of submissions etc.
    Ahh right, I understand. I saw it in myself very early on and made a real effort not to do it. Cheers.

As a beginner I still get very frustrated when I'm in a tight spot and I literally don't know of any techniques that might let me escape. Sometimes all you can do is stall for a bit until you find an opening of sorts.

What, Spazinho doesn''t get a mention?

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    Sometimes all you can do is stall for a bit until you find an opening of sorts.
    That's called being patient and it's absolutely fine. Sometimes you can create the opening, but other times you have to wait for the opening to come to you. Just don't stall for 5 mins though - it's wasted training time. If you're absolutely stuck, then ask your training partner what to do from there. It'll obviously help you in your development, but it'll improve his game too, as he can then start developing what he does next from that position as well.

James

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    What, Spazinho doesn''t get a mention?
    i still got love for you spazinho. just don't break my knees pulling guard!
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

our club doesn't award stripes. I personally like it this way, we all know who are the more skilled/experienced in each grade anyway.

Without that visual indicator I reckon psychologically it brings people together rather than isolating groups, as well as perhaps dispelling any elitist attitudes that can potentially creep into those further along the path towards their next belt.

Just my thoughts though, I'm well aware not everyone/academy thinks this way.