Thread: HELP!!! Lost car keys...

Hybrid View

Jaded Insider

Default HELP!!! Lost car keys...

hi peeps, in a bit of a pickle...

lost my car keys today, the only key I had for the car, Police haven't had any handed in yet either so not sure where they are, turfed the house over and retraced my steps, nothing!

so, a quick search on google reveals loads of 'mobile lost key' recovery companies, all with mobile numbers...

anyone used one? any other suggestions?

I dont really fancy telling someone where my car is only for them to half inch it when I am not looking...

seriously stressed...

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by lee_whitehead View Post

lost my car keys today, the only key I had for the car, Police haven't had any handed in yet either so not sure where they are, turfed the house over and retraced my steps, nothing!

so, a quick search on google reveals loads of 'mobile lost key' recovery companies, all with mobile numbers...

I dont really fancy telling someone where my car is only for them to half inch it when I am not looking...

seriously stressed...

Lee
    Ye a mobile vehicle lock smith will get in your car and do you a new key but it wont be cheap, depending on the car?

seriously stressed...

Lee
    Call them up and get a pal to drive round to where your car is so you can wait there until the person arrives. Then the guy picks the lock for you. You do need to somehow get another key or the lock changed afterwards so check that out as well so you know how much its gonna set you back and it needs to be in garage on on a driveway securely

Quote Originally Posted by jim2007 View Post
    Call them up and get a pal to drive round to where your car is so you can wait there until the person arrives. Then the guy picks the lock for you. You do need to somehow get another key or the lock changed afterwards so check that out as well so you know how much its gonna set you back and it needs to be in garage on on a driveway securely
    We had to get this done on a Merc ML a while back, he didnt blow the lock or nothing, just got in then got some code off the car. then cut the key in his van and we were away! Job sorted no fuss atall. Wasnt cheap tho!!

Jaded Insider

Default Cheers for info

its an Audi S4 V8

turns out, audi leave a small black key master and code tag in the spine of the black logbook - which is good news! but it costs 172.50 each key from audi to get recut and coded and takes 3-5 days

at least they can delete the previous key's relationship with the car off meaning if someone finds it they can physically get into the car, but the code and alarm will still go off.

what a drama! thanks for the replies though

Lee

its an Audi S4 V8

turns out, audi leave a small black key master and code tag in the spine of the black logbook - which is good news! but it costs 172.50 each key from audi to get recut and coded and takes 3-5 days

at least they can delete the previous key's relationship with the car off meaning if someone finds it they can physically get into the car, but the code and alarm will still go off.

what a drama! thanks for the replies though

Lee
    Good news (sort of)! Nice car by the way!

we had a similar drama a few years ago, my mum had bought a new civic (when they were just released)

the civic has a time lock on it, so it you get out of the car, it locks itself 10 seconds later

the problem is mums key was on the passeger seat

her spare key was in fife, she was in rotherham

it cost a fortune to get into the car to get they key out!
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

Similar thing happened to me with a civic type r a while ago. lost the key and couldn't find the spare. The car was in a dodgy area 30 miles from home with loads of work stuff inside including office keys so i payed 140 to get it towed home.

Eventualy got a mobile locksmith but as the car was new he'd never got into one before and he couln't get hold of the wiring schematics to pop the locks. Had to get a lift to the honda dealership with the v5 to get a code which cost 80. This let the locksmith make a key in the back of his van which got him into the car. he then coded the key through the OBC port under the dash so the car could now be driven. Trouble was that without the fob the alarm just kept going off. So it wasn't really usable although it cost me 120. I then had to go back to honda to order an alarm fob which cost 40 plus another 60 to have it coded.

So 400 later i was mobile again. 2 days later I found my keys at the gym and 2 weeks later i found the spare in the car. I still can't see the funny side.

Bet its in the last place you look.... ;-)

Last edited by andrew123; 24-02-2013 at 10:50 PM.