Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hitting a wall

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I've been thinking about this for a long time, ever since I've seen friends get so frustrated about it and end up making er... big changes. I just want to be prepared and figured a thread on here might help some others as well.

Basically it seems that variety is the spice of life.
    I can actually only think of a couple of people who progress in a completely linear fashion. Nearly everyone gets peaks and troughs. Dealing with them is part of education that BJJ gives you.

There's no magic pill. Lot's of people give up after a period of frustration.

Just keep training.

Some times people say to me when does it get easier, I reply never, you are training and improving at the same rate as your team mates, tis only when new people join that you truly realise( as your explaining some technique to them). You are always improving but as you improve you add more pressure, new belt bigger target.
    Not sure of your level of experience David but your frustration may be (no offence) due to expectation of somekind of colourful reward for your 5 days a week training, you could re-direct your focus toward competing, if you dont already.
    Remember why you started BJJ and relive it maybe and relish the fact you can train 5 days a week with top level black belts, some of us dont see one in months unless we travel 100 miles +.
    Last edited by shnmat; 14-01-2011 at 11:58 PM.
    redcarbjj.co.uk

Nooooooo! No one reads posts properly! I have no frustration right now, quite the opposite, I just know it's an inevitable part of progression and so I'm looking for strategies and techniques to minimise it and hoping that other people on here might also appreciate the insight of people who have been through this frustration and come out the other side...

Why minimise it? The lower you bounce back from the higher you go. I remember a crappy period that lasted 1 year where I got injury after injury that ruined my fitness and aged me, got tapped by a few whites, forgot techniques, lost my confidence, one day I remember I got guillotined and arm triangled about 10 times in 1 round - I screamed, sulked for days, nearly cried eye water. Entered competitions and got armbarred, armbarred, armbarred each time, RobT was one of them!!!

I learned a lot from that period, now I almost look forward to the next one.
    www.temperwear.co.uk Predator Fightwear CrossFit Northampton Maximum Nutrition

Ooooooooooooooooh, getting beat by RobT, gotta be bad for the soul...

Eh? What do you mean by that?

My point was it was good for me. Getting smashed is good for the soul so I dont understand your statement, sorry.

Moderator of Love <3

Become a football hooligan or take pictures of yourself topless with MMA gloves, makes you nails.

Post removed due to even RobT taking things too seriously...
    Last edited by davids; 16-01-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Well, who wants to be beat up by some Welsh Boyo (Bicholha) that's good for nothing other than singing and showing sheep the night of their lives??? In fact, who wants to be smashed by someone who owned a Micra?
    If you're gonna post stuff like this, you should come to Swansea for a roll.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Dunno what his problem is with you Rob but your armbar played a big roll in my progression so thankyou because this thread was about progession... Until it got stupid.