Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound Basics

Hybrid View

Default Sound Basics

I met a guy on wed night who gained his blue belt in bjj in 03. He has been training along time, off and on. Im sure it would be the best part of ten years and i have seen him in nogi grappling comps over the years cleaning up in his divisions. I 'dont think' that he trains in the gi that often anymore and he seems to compete almost exclusively in nogi comps and mma fights.

In his fights he is totally dependant on his bjj and believes in his skills. He is 3-1 in pro mma.

My point - after training with him i was very surprised..his jiu jitsu was very 'basic' but fundamentally solid ie he did used techniques that where probablly taught to him in the first 6mnths in training to great effect. No fancy moves, all basic well timed and exequted techniques. The guys he rolled with where young, strong and intermediate/ advanced level competitors. I was amazed how simple his take was on guard passing and watched him cut through the guys guards that he was rolling with and sub them with relative ease.

A real eye opener.

Anyone here use the simplest techniques to great effect? Id be very interested to hear.

*waits for comments that Roger Gracie has a simple game*

There's no substitute for the basics.

I despair when I see people trying rubber guard when they don't know the basics. In fact I despair of people trying rubber guard full stop!!

As I've progressed in BJJ I've realised just how much there is to even a simple position and how minute details can make all the difference.

You could develop a very solid BJJ game with just a few techniques practiced to a high level.

Thanks for the reply dickie. Just what i needed to hear.

I now train in the same class as this guy once a week and i have made a concious decision to look at the finer details of the techniques that i use and spar these much more often instead of compiling more techs.

Flexa told me yesterday that Wallid Ismael built his entire game on a handful - like fifteen - unstoppable moves. But he was able to perform them against anyone...
    carlsongracie.nl

Quote Originally Posted by TRIBULUS View Post
    You could develop a very solid BJJ game with just a few techniques practiced to a high level.
    Not talking about belt chasing or anything, but would it actually be possible to get to blue/purple and above with just a few techniques that were practised to the point where they were extremely solid and effective?

I hope so, or I will still be blue when I'm 50.

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    Not talking about belt chasing or anything, but would it actually be possible to get to blue/purple and above with just a few techniques that were practised to the point where they were extremely solid and effective?
    Depends on whether we're talking about have 2 solid moves from each position, or having 5 or 6 really effective moves but only from 1 or 2 positions. If it's the former, then yes. You'd still know the other moves, but they're just not in your selection list. And that's fine. Personally I never play spider, but I understand it enough to get the principles and recognise what's going on. But if it's the latter? Blue? Yep, pretty likely. Purple? Very very very doubtful. Brown & Black? Not a chance.

James

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    Im sure Rickson Gracie is a coral belt & his entire game is BJJ Basics preformed to perfection, im not saying anyone cane be like Rickson, but he only used the baisc moves and proved thats all you really need.

^interesting.

i suppose its the finer deatils that make the moves unstoppable -
    Drill, spar, spar some more, compete, re-evaluate

Actually very interesting! Jiu jitsu is definitly the fine details art, but you don't need a lot of crazy and no known movs. Loooks Roger Gracie, he use very basic techniques but with some details who makes them efficient! Roger have a very basic game but very efficient.
    If you see Terere game so you have something very dificult but very efficient as well!!!
    I think it depends...