Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sound Basics

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I am a Carlson boy. I moved a while ago, so it'll be with the Camberley mob when I do come back. Have to say, I did love the basics class. I certainly got more out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIBULUS View Post
    You could develop a very solid BJJ game with just a few techniques practiced to a high level.
    Not talking about belt chasing or anything, but would it actually be possible to get to blue/purple and above with just a few techniques that were practised to the point where they were extremely solid and effective?

I hope so, or I will still be blue when I'm 50.

Are you blue now?

Me or the other fella? I'm blue. Got mine xmas 2009, trained for a month and haven't been back since :'( Was hoping to go back over xmas, but keep having setbacks. Maybe next month....

Yeah you, I was just being nosey. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    Not talking about belt chasing or anything, but would it actually be possible to get to blue/purple and above with just a few techniques that were practised to the point where they were extremely solid and effective?
    Depends on whether we're talking about have 2 solid moves from each position, or having 5 or 6 really effective moves but only from 1 or 2 positions. If it's the former, then yes. You'd still know the other moves, but they're just not in your selection list. And that's fine. Personally I never play spider, but I understand it enough to get the principles and recognise what's going on. But if it's the latter? Blue? Yep, pretty likely. Purple? Very very very doubtful. Brown & Black? Not a chance.

James

Quote Originally Posted by faithsdaddy View Post
    Interesting thread and comments. I would love to find a book, or be REALLY taught how to make a basic game from the ground up. In a class, one practices the techniques shown, easy or hard, so not sure how to focus on the basics as such. I tend to put my focus on building up detail on basics and less on complex techniques. For instance, I would only ever bother with 2 or 3 guard passes- probably ever, but certainly until I was spot on at them, or felt my game needed 'more'.
    Good comment.

Is there any literature or dvd avilable that concentrates solely on basics?

Im a 'stickler' for details.

I would always say ask your instructor. I know mine loves it when anyone raises a point of detail within a position we are working, those classes where we go off on a details tangent are always most interesting to me.

IIRC Braulio did an 'invisible Jiu-Jitsu' series...not seen it myself though but the name alone suggests details in basics.
    www.temperwear.co.uk Predator Fightwear CrossFit Northampton Maximum Nutrition

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    Im sure Rickson Gracie is a coral belt & his entire game is BJJ Basics preformed to perfection, im not saying anyone cane be like Rickson, but he only used the baisc moves and proved thats all you really need.