Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sound Basics

Hasn't Vitor Estima got a series on cagefilm called 'fundamentals'? Never seen it myself but I imagine it's focus is on basics?

Didnt Bruce Lee say something about having one technique youve drilled 1000 times rather than 1000 techniques youve drilled once? Basics are your foundation. Without your foundation, you will sink.

Stapes
    Michael Stapleton stapesmk1@hotmail.com (Not Martin Stapleton)

fer me like, a really loved watchin that ugly brazilian fella who kept losing ta fedor. In his other fytes of course) He duz that triangle, armbar and oma plata thingy and kept doin between them from hyz back. Simple thing s lyk, just drilling ower and ower agayn.

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

Anyone here use the simplest techniques to great effect? Id be very interested to hear.
    all i teach is basics nowt flashy just solid techniques that work

Didnt Bruce Lee say something about having one technique youve drilled 1000 times rather than 1000 techniques youve drilled once? Basics are your foundation. Without your foundation, you will sink.

Stapes
    brilliant post

Quote Originally Posted by Bosalfus View Post
    Hasn't Vitor Estima got a series on cagefilm called 'fundamentals'? Never seen it myself but I imagine it's focus is on basics?
    i have the dvds. they are very good. solid basics, with all the little details to make the positions work
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Let me just play Devil's advocate here for a second. Take for a second De La Riva, he was super awesome because he was brought up in an environment where everyone did the basics to a very high level. He made his name because he was 'forced' to come up with something new and less basic to overcome the guys that were physically stronger and awesome at the basics. I ( as a humble blue belt) think that everyone can be better than they are at the basics and often it will be more worthwhile improving that part of your game but you shouldn't necessarily forget the more 'flashy' moves. My favourite and highest percentage move could be considered flashy by some. And what fun would it be if we just did the same stuff over and over? Fair enough if you want to be a UFC champion, but for us mere mortals who are just too old to be the best, it's just so much fun to learn the crazy stuff!

de la riva already had an amazing closed guard though
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

an amazing everything huh...

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Let me just play Devil's advocate here for a second. Take for a second De La Riva, he was super awesome because he was brought up in an environment where everyone did the basics to a very high level. He made his name because he was 'forced' to come up with something new and less basic to overcome the guys that were physically stronger and awesome at the basics. I ( as a humble blue belt) think that everyone can be better than they are at the basics and often it will be more worthwhile improving that part of your game but you shouldn't necessarily forget the more 'flashy' moves. My favourite and highest percentage move could be considered flashy by some. And what fun would it be if we just did the same stuff over and over? Fair enough if you want to be a UFC champion, but for us mere mortals who are just too old to be the best, it's just so much fun to learn the crazy stuff!
    I kind of agree with that actually. Looking at the top level guys now, how many of them, sans Roger, would you describe as having a 'basic' game? Not very many. Braulio, Mendes bros, Cobrinha, Marcelo Garcia, Langhi, Barral, Ryan Hall, etc. Everyone at that level has great basics so double leg to stack pass to kimura from side control just isn't going to cut it against them, you have to learn some 'crazy stuff' to catch people out.

Not that, that applies to me or anything, just saying.

Obviously not rubber guard though...