Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: belt standard

Default belt standard

Just how much does belt level/standard differ from club to club?

a lot

man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

It varies within clubs too. I have seen brown belts who could barely hang with some of the better blues in the same gym. When you find out a little bit more about how some people are graded, it becomes obvious that certain grades have been awarded for services rendered to the club rather than ability on the mat. Apparently this is not uncommon in Brazil?

Only one way to find out...
    www.temperwear.co.uk Predator Fightwear CrossFit Northampton Maximum Nutrition

I think that the same can be said across the board in Martial Arts. I certainly have some black belts that would struggle to hang with students half their belt level (stand-up).

Gradings come down to ability to display the correct techniques. That does not mean that they can beat everyone of lower belt rank than them.
    Instructor, Student, Coach, Fighter, Referee.

Beating people in fights or sporting matches also comes down to strength, conditioning and will to win.

If a small 50 year old brown belt is mauled by a 23 year old heavy weight blue, it does not mean that his standards / worth of belt is lower. Belts are about technical know how, with a little spirit and comitment thrown in.

Also I would ask younger guys who find themself smashing an older high grade to remember that one day age and injury will catch up with them and it's a bitch.
    Last edited by bomberh; 16-01-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    I have seen brown belts who could barely hang with some of the better blues in the same gym.
    Britain's Olympic Judo Coaches cannot beat the current squad members in matches and they hold ranks of 6th dan upwards.

DTEC is at the top end and then you get your other schools, whcih are more, how shall we put it... average?

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

I have seen brown belts who could barely hang with some of the better blues in the same gym. When you find out a little bit more about how some people are graded, it becomes obvious that certain grades have been awarded for services rendered to the club rather than ability on the mat. Apparently this is not uncommon in Brazil?
    this was well answered by this
    If a small 50 year old brown belt is mauled by a 23 year old heavy weight blue, it does not mean that his standards / worth of belt is lower. Belts are about technical know how, with a little spirit and comitment thrown in.
    older guys of higher belts may struggle with younger blues on the mat but could the blue teach techniques and break them down at the same level of the brown.

its like in football, we dont say "fuck me how is fergie manager of united, he is not as good a player as rooney"

just my opinion

Yeah guys I take the point that age, injury, conditioning etc all need to be taken into account when a higher grade gets tapped by a lower one. Sometimes though none of these factors are relevant. Sometimes people do get graded because of the other ways they can help the gym.

For instance, say a student has contacts within the local council and can arrange a better rental rate on the facility where their academy is cited? Some instructors would reward that with a belt. I'm not suggesting that this is the norm by any means. And I'm not even saying that it's wrong in any moral sense but I would certainly not want to be graded for anything other than my ability. I imagine such instances are very rare in the UK but it is something I have encountered (just once to be fair) and I have not been training half as long as most of you guys.