Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: belt standard

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    Yeah guys I take the point that age, injury, conditioning etc all need to be taken into account when a higher grade gets tapped by a lower one. Sometimes though none of these factors are relevant. Sometimes people do get graded because of the other ways they can help the gym.

For instance, say a student has contacts within the local council and can arrange a better rental rate on the facility where their academy is cited? Some instructors would reward that with a belt. I'm not suggesting that this is the norm by any means. And I'm not even saying that it's wrong in any moral sense but I would certainly not want to be graded for anything other than my ability. I imagine such instances are very rare in the UK but it is something I have encountered (just once to be fair) and I have not been training half as long as most of you guys.
    Youre saying a coach rewarded a pupil with a brown belt because he organised cheaper rent ? Maybe it would happen at blue MAYBE , dont see it happening at any belt higher than that . Where was the gym? I still think skill would come into it when the instuctor gave him his belt, no instructor would promote someone who is useless . Unless you know otherwise

At the end of the day, the coach is only lessening his own credibility by grading people before they deserve it. Giving someone a grade they don't deserve doesn't work out so great when you have a terrible competition record within the gym because all your belts are getting smashed in tournaments. Not doing himself any favours there. It's like the opposite of sandbagging.

i think the last starfighter should train BJJ for more than a couple of weeks before making these kind of accusations
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Raoh View Post
    Youre saying a coach rewarded a pupil with a brown belt because he organised cheaper rent ? Maybe it would happen at blue MAYBE , dont see it happening at any belt higher than that . Where was the gym? I still think skill would come into it when the instuctor gave him his belt, no instructor would promote someone who is useless . Unless you know otherwise
    I shall not name the instructor I'm referring to question as he's very respected and highly regarded black belt. I would not wish to cause him any embarrassment. The brown belt I'm referring to is not only a brown belt but also an assistant instructor. He is by no means a bad BJJ player. But he almost always gets tapped by the other brown belts, regularly gets tapped by purples of the same size and has a very tough time with the more experienced blues at his club. This I have seen with my own eyes. I imagine that grading for an instructor is a very personal thing though. It may be that in the eyes of that instructor (who's credentials are 1000% legit) that this brown belt deserves his grade for the help that he has given the club. I understand that for some instructors, especially Brazilians, it's perfectly reasonable and even honorable to grade students based on more than their ability on the mat?

Quote Originally Posted by david5 View Post
    i think the last starfighter should train BJJ for more than a couple of weeks before making these kind of accusations
    I understand why you might think that I've only trained a couple of weeks, but really I've trained for approximately two years. I will admit that I have taken some big breaks during that period. I will also admit that my BJJ is at an appalling standard considering that I've trained for that length of time. But not everyone is able to make the long term commitment it takes to progress in BJJ and not everyone has a natural aptitude for it either.

I'm trying really hard not to offend anyone here. I'm just saying it how I've seen it.

I keep getting accused of trolling on here and it's actually wearing a bit thin now for me and probably for the other users on the board. Is there a way to get your account closed on this forum? I tried emailing the administrator but I got no reply and I know I won't stop posting on my own lol. Sometimes your face just don't fit.

I understand why you might think that I've only trained a couple of weeks, but really I've trained for approximately two years. I will admit that I have taken some big breaks during that period. I will also admit that my BJJ is at an appalling standard considering that I've trained for that length of time. But not everyone is able to make the long term commitment it takes to progress in BJJ and not everyone has a natural aptitude for it either.

I'm trying really hard not to offend anyone here. I'm just saying it how I've seen it.

I keep getting accused of trolling on here and it's actually wearing a bit thin now for me and probably for the other users on the board. Is there a way to get your account closed on this forum? I tried emailing the administrator but I got no reply and I know I won't stop posting on my own lol. Sometimes your face just don't fit.
    Mate you cant post something like that up and not think youre gonna get a response, you basically said an instructor promoted a brown belt who wasnt worthy on skill level ,and youve judge that on what you say yourself your own appalling standard in BJJ . Youre a white belt calling out a black belts promotion of a student mate .
    Not cool for you to say that your being targeted at all . Saying stuff like that will always lead to a heated debate . If you dont want a heated debate be more mindful of what you post . but hey thats just my opinion . Not having ago just saying how i see it

I shall not name the instructor I'm referring to question as he's very respected and highly regarded black belt. I would not wish to cause him any embarrassment. The brown belt I'm referring to is not only a brown belt but also an assistant instructor. He is by no means a bad BJJ player. But he almost always gets tapped by the other brown belts, regularly gets tapped by purples of the same size and has a very tough time with the more experienced blues at his club. This I have seen with my own eyes. I imagine that grading for an instructor is a very personal thing though. It may be that in the eyes of that instructor (who's credentials are 1000% legit) that this brown belt deserves his grade for the help that he has given the club. I understand that for some instructors, especially Brazilians, it's perfectly reasonable and even honorable to grade students based on more than their ability on the mat?
    If you've only trained intermittently how can you know the full picture, maybe the brown belt you are questioning has old injuries that prevent them from rolling, they might have had a long term illness or surgery that has caused a lasting medical issue. You by your own admission have barely trained yet are questioning a "1000%" legit black belt. That's pretty disrespectful.
    Pedro Bessa BJJ Bristol. Sweatbox MMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by God of CW View Post
    God likes head kick knock outs.

WOW this threads gone crazy lol. The Reason I asked is I am moving soon and will be forced to train with a new team and just wondered if i will get schooled haha, Also whats the best etiquette for starting with a new school at a coloured belt?. I have never trained outside of my own camp before and wondered if anyone has any advice?.

Quote Originally Posted by david5 View Post
    nail, head.
    Pedro Bessa BJJ Bristol. Sweatbox MMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by God of CW View Post
    God likes head kick knock outs.

don't be soft. no one says you need to leave. it's your right to have an opinion, but if an unexperienced guy starts questioning higher belts then you gotta expect people to say something. for example i could never comment on a mechanic's work, unless it was painfully obvious something was amiss...because i know fuck all about fixing cars.
    in a jiu jitsu example, as is said it's only when you're very experienced that you can begin to pick up on the mitigating factors that might limit someone's game
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer