Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: belt standard

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    WOW this threads gone crazy lol. The Reason I asked is I am moving soon and will be forced to train with a new team and just wondered if i will get schooled haha, Also whats the best etiquette for starting with a new school at a coloured belt?. I have never trained outside of my own camp before and wondered if anyone has any advice?.
    Wear the belt you have been awarded. Youll prob find guys in your grading that are not as good & alot better, depending on yours/their stage of development. IE recently promoted to Blue belt & on the cusp of Purple Blue belt vs where you are at.

As for the accusations of promoting for services to the club, BJJ seem to have a proud heritage throughout their lineage etc & id find it difficult to believe legit BBs promoting due to stuff other than ability. Can see it happening with other MAs that havent stayed true to their history like BJJ has.

Quote Originally Posted by Raoh View Post
    Mate you cant post something like that up and not think youre gonna get a response, you basically said an instructor promoted a brown belt who wasnt worthy on skill level ,and youve judge that on what you say yourself your own appalling standard in BJJ . Youre a white belt calling out a black belts promotion of a student mate .
    Not cool for you to say that your being targeted at all . Saying stuff like that will always lead to a heated debate . If you dont want a heated debate be more mindful of what you post . but hey thats just my opinion . Not having ago just saying how i see it
    Well no not really. Is it or isn't it the case that some black belts will promote some students based on things other than their BJJ ability? They're BJJ will need to be at a certain level for sure but if they're especially helpful towards beginners and/or do lots of extra stuff around the gym then that can sometimes be what clinches the grading? I'm not saying that this is how it is for the most part but it does happen. I'm not making a judgement based on my own BJJ standard, I'm making the judgement based on what was openly accepted at the gym I was training at. It was no secret that this guy had helped in the setting up, acquisition and agreeable rental rates for the premises used for the gym. It was also no secret that this was a huge factor in him being promoted to purple and then to brown. It was explained to me by a number of people that this sort of thing was perfectly acceptable in Brazil and everyone was cool about it. As I've said, this brown belt was not crap by any means. He had some very good BJJ knowledge but he was forever getting tapped by lower grades in sparring and hardly ever competed as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    If you've only trained intermittently how can you know the full picture, maybe the brown belt you are questioning has old injuries that prevent them from rolling, they might have had a long term illness or surgery that has caused a lasting medical issue. You by your own admission have barely trained yet are questioning a "1000%" legit black belt. That's pretty disrespectful.
    It's not disrespectful at all. I am merely stating that not all belts are awarded purely on the basis of BJJ ability. That's all I've actually said and I've included a personal experience of someone I've met who has received promotion based on things other than BJJ ability.

Now can someone please close this account as I can't stop posting lol, seriously!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    Well no not really. Is it or isn't it the case that some black belts will promote some students based on things other than their BJJ ability? They're BJJ will need to be at a certain level for sure but if they're especially helpful towards beginners and/or do lots of extra stuff around the gym then that can sometimes be what clinches the grading? I'm not saying that this is how it is for the most part but it does happen. I'm not making a judgement based on my own BJJ standard, I'm making the judgement based on what was openly accepted at the gym I was training at. It was no secret that this guy had helped in the setting up, acquisition and agreeable rental rates for the premises used for the gym. It was also no secret that this was a huge factor in him being promoted to purple and then to brown. It was explained to me by a number of people that this sort of thing was perfectly acceptable in Brazil and everyone was cool about it. As I've said, this brown belt was not crap by any means. He had some very good BJJ knowledge but he was forever getting tapped by lower grades in sparring and hardly ever competed as far as I know.
    I find that hard to beleive mate sorry . That someone can get to brown belt , lets not beat around the bush here a serious fucking belt, by helping out with stuff . And on top of that become a instructor at said club . The guy may well have helped out with all these things but thats the reason hes got to brown ? Ive never heard of someting like that . Then again im just a blue belt been practicing for just a few years and lots I dont know . How long did you train at this club can i ask?

call the bjj police!!
    this is one of the most potentially damaging allegations i've ever heard.
    NAME AND SHAME............................
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

I would like to state for the record that belts at Carlson Gracie Team are only,and have only ever been awarded for one thing-
    a persons level in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Quote Originally Posted by Raoh View Post
    I find that hard to beleive mate sorry . That someone can get to brown belt , lets not beat around the bush here a serious fucking belt, by helping out with stuff . And on top of that become a instructor at said club . The guy may well have helped out with all these things but thats the reason hes got to brown ? Ive never heard of someting like that . Then again im just a blue belt been practicing for just a few years and lots I dont know . How long did you train at this club can i ask?
    I trained at this place for almost four months.

Quote Originally Posted by markjitsu View Post
    call the bjj police!!
    this is one of the most potentially damaging allegations i've ever heard.
    NAME AND SHAME............................
    It's up to the instructor who he promotes and why. I've heard it said that some instructors insist that students help out around the gym, help out with instructing beginners and various admin duties etc. Ralph Gracie was supposed to be kinda like this, although that could be bollox I dunno as I've never met the guy.

Conversely a student might be technically very good and be able to smash everyone he rolls with but if he's super arrogant with it, or doesn't know how to roll with lower grades without crushing them then a lot of instuctors won't promote that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    I would like to state for the record that belts at Carlson Gracie Team are only,and have only ever been awarded for one thing-
    a persons level in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
    Simon, I'm not referring to Carlsons. Just in case you thought I was. Are you able to close my account? Not throwing my toys out of the pram or sulking by the way.

It's not disrespectful at all. I am merely stating that not all belts are awarded purely on the basis of BJJ ability. That's all I've actually said and I've included a personal experience of someone I've met who has received promotion based on things other than BJJ ability.

Now can someone please close this account as I can't stop posting lol, seriously!!
    You are still questioning the BB in question who awarded the belt though with your posts.
    Pedro Bessa BJJ Bristol. Sweatbox MMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by God of CW View Post
    God likes head kick knock outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    You are still questioning the BB in question who awarded the belt though with your posts.
    Feel free to see it however you wish. I don't feel I am questioning anyone. I am simply stating what I know.

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    WOW this threads gone crazy lol. The Reason I asked is I am moving soon and will be forced to train with a new team and just wondered if i will get schooled haha, Also whats the best etiquette for starting with a new school at a coloured belt?. I have never trained outside of my own camp before and wondered if anyone has any advice?.
    1) If at all possible, don't wear a gi covered in the patches of your old academy (out of respect)
    2) Talk to the instructor and let him know where you come from
    3) Prepare for every person within a 1 belt radius (at least) to demonstrate "who's the top dog?" when you spar, including the guys half your weight and the guys with arms as thick as your neck.