Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 82

Thread: belt standard

  1. #61

    Default

    I dont think purples and above should really be getting tapped by white belts? unless they are trying stuff or allow them to? or is that just me?

  2. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    I dont think purples and above should really be getting tapped by white belts? unless they are trying stuff or allow them to? or is that just me?
    Depends on the situation - try being a 65kg 30 something purple training straight after work who goes up against a 19 year old white belt who trains twice a day, outweighs you by 15kg and is extremely strong and athletic. Technique and experience are wonderful things, but they're not a magic wand and nor do they make you invincible. Sometimes rolling with guys like that is less about who taps who, but whether at the end of the round you're injured...

    James

  3. #63
    Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Abertillery, Gwent
    Posts
    3,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tapsalot View Post
    Depends on the situation - try being a 65kg 30 something purple training straight after work who goes up against a 19 year old white belt who trains twice a day, outweighs you by 15kg and is extremely strong and athletic. Technique and experience are wonderful things, but they're not a magic wand and nor do they make you invincible. Sometimes rolling with guys like that is less about who taps who, but whether at the end of the round you're injured...

    James
    very good response James.

    People sometimes think that white belts are people who have been training as a social pastime twice a week for the last 6 months.
    Im 40 this year and I got approx 20 BJJ white belts, most are much younger than me, that are fighting semi/pro mma been training 5 days a week for 3 yrs +, with loads of experience in mma, Combat Jujutsu and no gi.
    I can tell you now most of them will give a lot of purple belts a hard time.
    Welcome to my horrible world. Its getting harder the older im getting.

  4. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shakus maximus View Post
    very good response James.

    People sometimes think that white belts are people who have been training as a social pastime twice a week for the last 6 months.
    Im 40 this year and I got approx 20 BJJ white belts, most are much younger than me, that are fighting semi/pro mma been training 5 days a week for 3 yrs +, with loads of experience in mma, Combat Jujutsu and no gi.
    I can tell you now most of them will give a lot of purple belts a hard time.
    Welcome to my horrible world. Its getting harder the older im getting.
    Age does take its effect thats for sure, as i get older i may be getting more technical, but the conditioning, strength, speed etc. are slipping at the same time whether i like it or not (and i dont like it by the way). Iv just come to the conclusion I dont understand this tapping thing. When I go training I always try to push myself and make things hard for myself or try to develop new things or improve on positions that im not great with. If I get someone who is less experineced then im more than happy to let them put armbar on me and when they are good at it try to escape it as they are putting it on. Isnt the point of training to improve and constantly challenge yourself? Maybe im naive, but I train for personal development and gain, not for belts, recognition or any other reason. Im a purple belt now and if I stay a purple belt forever so what? the things I get out of training on a weekly basis are worth more than anything.

  5. #65

    Default

    Nicely said Zippy. I think Wobblybob summed it up best a couple of pages ago...

    it matters not that I am not the best, just that I am the best that I can be
    James

  6. #66

    Default

    I dont think purples and above should really be getting tapped by white belts? unless they are trying stuff or allow them to? or is that just me?
    I've tried to triangle a 105 kilo tough as fuck polish white belt, I got stacked, crushed and choked in that order, it's not fucking magic you know, a purple belt doesn't make you invincible to anyone of a lower grade.. in fact it was a great reality check.. don't judge a player by his belt... classic mistake, some techniques don't work on some people.. or not very easily!!

  7. #67
    Senior Member Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cannock/Lichfield
    Posts
    611

    Default

    I regularly get tapped by white belts (well the no-gi equivalent) usually because I'm trying to work on some specific stuff and other times because they're going at it like their life depends on it and I just can't be bothered to have a war. At the end of the day I spar/roll to improve not to 'win', every now and then (usually when preparing for a comp) I'll go at 95% in the gym but I'm only really concerned with how my training translates into my competition performance

  8. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    other times because they're going at it like their life depends on it and I just can't be bothered to have a war.
    Doesn't this piss you off?

  9. #69
    Senior Member Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cannock/Lichfield
    Posts
    611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    Doesn't this piss you off?
    I'm not going to lie, sometimes it does but mainly because it's frustrating that they confuse 'winning' a roll with improving but sometimes it's good because it allows you to test your technique against a fully resisting opponent.

  10. #70

    Default

    Is there a particular type of person who does this? Would you say that younger guys tend to go for broke more often than older guys, regardless of experience?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.