Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: belt standard

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
    Is there a particular type of person who does this? Would you say that younger guys tend to go for broke more often than older guys, regardless of experience?
    I find guys who have been training a while but havent competed are the most guilty of it. Also possibly down to alpha male stuff, newish guys "going after" established team members. Id put most people doing it down to inexperience, they see rolling/ sparring as a competitive aspect of training rather than another avenue to learn & develop. When theyve been around a while they chill out a bit with it.

I train for personal development and gain, not for belts, recognition or any other reason
    I train because I enjoy it, and that includes:

Tapping people better than me
    Sweeping people better than me
    Getting recognition of the effort that I put in which includes belts
    Somehow surviving a round that we both thought the other guy had
    Learning
    Getting fitter and healthier
    Recognising my own knowledge when someone asks me a question and I know the answer
    I actually enjoy being caused pain sometimes

This is not to say that I go mental, I'm just saying that a lot of people seem to make out that you should be ashamed if you enjoy having a good scrap!

"To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human"

If you're serious about competition then of course, you have to train in the most efficient way possible, but for the rest of us, we must enjoy it!

I wouldn't expect a lower grade to do anything other than attack me full out every round... what else are they meant to do?
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    This is not to say that I go mental, I'm just saying that a lot of people seem to make out that you should be ashamed if you enjoy having a good scrap!
    Good honest scraps are awesome, it's more about not turning it into a competition match and missing out on the learning experience. Having said that, we all have people at our clubs whom we measure ourselves against in a slightly competitive manner, but as long as that's used to make you both better, rather then just feed your ego, then it's all good

James

nah young or old i can control them the same TBF .................................. terribly lol
    Last edited by oddball; 20-01-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    I wouldn't expect a lower grade to do anything other than attack me full out every round... what else are they meant to do?
    Are you suggesting every roll should be at 100%? I personally feel it's difficult to incorporate new techniques etc when going at it full on. I definitely think there's a place for having a good scrap and 'winning' a roll but it shouldn't be at the detriment of using decent technique

It might make me sound like a bit of a homo but I can't be arsed with getting my head crushed by some 17 stone monster who thinks the purpose of the roll is to squeeze my head to death. At the end of the day I have work the next day and attend classes to improve my skills as a martial artist, not to see how tough I am. What I've found through this ethos is that I can now roll well with people that are going mental and at the end of it they'll feel like we've had a war and are totally gassed whilst I'll be ok, this doesn't make me better/superior to them or anything it just means we train different, what works for one person may not suit the next and vice versa

Brett,

I think you confused robs Resonse. They go crazy, but you dealing with doesn't automatically mean you must go 100% too.

Most of the time I don't go nuts but I do like those hard rolls because my personal philosophy is that your real Jiu Jitsu is what comes out when your body is exhausted, it's when I have to be most efficient because I have no spare energy and if it works when your gassed it really is a technique you own.
    www.temperwear.co.uk Predator Fightwear CrossFit Northampton Maximum Nutrition

Its not high intensity rolling which bugs me, I like a fast paced difficult roll.

Its the douchebags that squeeze shit, your jaw mostly, or try to squeeze your head/ribs with their thighs. The "spaz" guy that flail around aimlessly. The "im gonna grapevine his calf til he taps" guy. Or the "Jam my elbow into anything til he taps" guy.

I had a roll wi a more senior grade recently & I was blowing out my arse escaping subs, regaining guard etc & he wasnt even breathing slightest bit harder! I was trying recognised techniques & really putting the effort in, as he was so superior to me, he could deal with it easily.

The guys im talking about tho woulda pulled guard, squeezed his ribs & pressed an elbow into his throat til he got fed up & called time, tapped to boredom or taught him a lesson! The whole squeezin something til he taps is my biggest irritant of rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Are you suggesting every roll should be at 100%?
    For the lower belt yeah, they should go 100%. That doesn't mean spazzing and squeezing heads though. 100% doesn't mean letting technique go out the window.

I don't care what people try on me though, they can squeeze my head, stack me with all their weight (and I have a few guys I roll with who have 50kg on me), attempt to choke me across my jaw etc... that's what can happen in a fight, I want to be able to deal with it. If I give up my back (on purpose or otherwise) and they pull my collar across my teeth, that's my fault and I need to learn to get out of there. If it's legal in comp I have no problem with it. However, if they do want to do that stuff they may not like what happens after I escape quite as much And if they're trying stuff which isn't helping then I'll teach them and show them what is better to do. That's jiu-jitsu. If I'm the higher grade I should be able to control things, if I decide I don't fancy getting crushed I should be able to go to feet on hips or sweep and take top position.

Quote Originally Posted by thai-jitsu View Post
    Its not high intensity rolling which bugs me, I like a fast paced difficult roll.

Its the douchebags that squeeze shit, your jaw mostly, or try to squeeze your head/ribs with their thighs. The "spaz" guy that flail around aimlessly. The "im gonna grapevine his calf til he taps" guy. Or the "Jam my elbow into anything til he taps" guy.

I had a roll wi a more senior grade recently & I was blowing out my arse escaping subs, regaining guard etc & he wasnt even breathing slightest bit harder! I was trying recognised techniques & really putting the effort in, as he was so superior to me, he could deal with it easily.

The guys im talking about tho woulda pulled guard, squeezed his ribs & pressed an elbow into his throat til he got fed up & called time, tapped to boredom or taught him a lesson! The whole squeezin something til he taps is my biggest irritant of rolling.
    You've got it