Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hitting a wall

Default Hitting a wall

I'm on a real high with my Jiu Jitsu at the moment, 'riding a wave' as my instructor put it. I seem to be progressing very quickly and consistently at the moment, possibly because I've been training at least 5 days a week, often double sessions for the last year. When this period of rapid development comes to it's inevitable end (not least because I probably won't be able to train quite as much from April) I want to make sure I don't go the opposite way. So many people seem to have gone through (or still be in) a progression wall where they just don't seem to get better. I would like to hear from anyone who has experienced this and if they got out the other side, how did they do it. Please don't reply with,"Just keep training", that's a given but what I want to do is identify causes and remedies for this situation. Do you think it was partly down to your personal life, if so what type of problems (being depressed, having other positive things to think about apart from BJJ etc). Were there any changes you made to the way you trained that helped you out of the situation? Anything you can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Please don't reply with,"Just keep training", that's a given but what I want to do is identify causes and remedies for this situation.
    When the finger points to the moon only a fool looks at the finger - Zen Proverb

Moderator of Love <3

Quote Originally Posted by Nenki View Post
    When the finger points to the moon only a fool looks at the finger - Zen Proverb
    Explain this with smaller words and perhaps write it in crayon.

Personally I've found that taking time off and/or significantly varying my training regime have both helped when I've hit a wall. I've actually found 'just keep training' to be the worst advice.
    Fitch's fan

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerr View Post
    Explain this with smaller words and perhaps write it in crayon.
    fool, you will miss allll the heavenry grory!
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Please don't reply with,"Just keep training"

I heard that quote before but at my new club if i am doing something wrong i get feedback.It's like if you are running with your shoe laces tied, it's pointless if i just tell you to keep running.. better advice would be untie your lace.

But what if your shoe laces are untied,you've only been sprinting for 6 months and you want to start breaking down
    your gait as if you are at olympic level before you have even got under 12 seconds.

Then the advice should be 'just keep running',because overthinking and over analysing technical issues can confuse your development
    at the early stages.

if you have a good coach you should be asking him about this kind of stuff...
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

Yeah, just keep training is the best advice.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/