Thread: Weight draining for beginner no-gi comp ?

Default Weight draining for beginner no-gi comp ?

Hi forum, just some advice needed please

I'm a lean 76kg and am going to compete in Ground control on 26th Feb leaving me about 5 and a half weeks to cut 3kg to get to 73 (would probably have to lose some muscle ) , would you recommend doing this or do beginners not normally bother weight draining and stuff so i'd be ok in 78kg division and not wrestling massive guys who have come down from 84kg etc ?

do people generally do sauna and water draining in the morning for same day weigh in at these events?

after re-reading my post seems obvious i should kind of just diet hard and lose the weight though..

If it's a beginners category and your first comp not worth trying to cut yet, see how you get on first as otherwise you'll end up knackered before you start, 3kg isn't a massive amount to diet off in that timeframe either so if you are hellbent on doing the lower category do it through food/dieting.
    Pedro Bessa BJJ Bristol. Sweatbox MMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by God of CW View Post
    God likes head kick knock outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
    If it's a beginners category and your first comp not worth trying to cut yet, see how you get on first as otherwise you'll end up knackered before you start, 3kg isn't a massive amount to diet off in that timeframe either so if you are hellbent on doing the lower category do it through food/dieting.
    Cheers Gareth , yes its begineers

hmm ok yeah maybe i'll try to diet it off naturally and see how my weight is 3 weeks from now , and try to change to the 78 category if I am failing

diet easy.. not drinking is not .

I have same problem with the same comp in mind, Im 75kg and am entering the beginner cat, im probably not going to try and diet though as this only 2nd comp and my first i dieted and was right at the limit for weight and didnt feel like i had any energy so im gonna stay my natrual weight and enter the U79kg group.

in my experiance you dont wanna water rentension your body at all ! should be a last case scenario to get to the weight. its better to lose the weight over a period of time and then wake up eat breakfast then not drink or eat all the previous day and then not drink or eat in the morning then load up your body after weight in. you got like a hour max to recover all this lost energy which is impossible. get to the weight before hand then be fit and ready to compete simples !
    Brazilian Ju Jitsu Blue Belt- Royce Gracie.

Slightly Sleazy

If you're weighing 76kg now just focus on being strong and technical at u78. Nerves and adrenaline will be playing havoc with you on the day so adding a weight cut won't help. You'd be stupid to try a sauna and weight cut for this if you haven't done it before (I wouldn't reccomend any sauna for same day weight in) you could weigh in then be fighting 10 mins later so you won't be able to re hydrate and will be pissed if you feel the weight cut has ruined your performance.

If you're determined to get to u73 you need to be within about 1lb of it a week out, clean up your diet, drop the booze, add some l-carnatine to your morning supplements and before training.