Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this just bad or is it me?

The most important muscles used to generate space when on mount bottom are the glutes, hamstrings and lower back (i.e. the muscles invloved in bridging and shrimping) and sitting low means you are sitting right on top of where all these muscles connect. The action of bridging and shrimping is in essence movement of the hips. By assuming a low mount you are connecting to that movement.

Of course, there are ways to counter that but you'd be ill advised to go for armbars straight from low mount as your own hips are far from the arm pits and the elbow. If you're gonna lock down the low mount you are preparing for something else such as americana or sleeve chokes...etc.

To successfully attack with straight armbars (irrespective from which position - mount, side, back, knee ride...etc.) then your chances are higher if your hips are closer to their upper arm, eg. in high mount. Sitting on the chest is very stable (if you know what you're doing) and opens for smoother transitions (e.g. to the back or knee ride)

As for the wrist grab I assume the demonstrator is thinking from a trained-vs-untrained perspective. If you mount on someone who doesn't know what you are doing to them, they won't expect the armbar. I'm not saying I never grab the wrist and always go for the elbow hook. I'm just relaying what the setup tells me.

Breaking gable grips and other armbar counters is not rocket science. The biceps crush is a good clever alternative but it's exactly that: an alternative to the armbar. You should aim to finish what you started intelligently.
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurning View Post
    Classic armbar right out of the Gracie self-defence curriculum, nothing wrong with it at all.
    I think this version is better than that one for practical purposes because it doesn't leave quite such a hilariously enormous gap. The 'hands on chest' version is really just a drill to teach the hip-turn for the armbar IMHO.

Against anyone competent I'd prefer to S-mount, takes away the space for them to get their elbow back and eliminates the feet-in-armpits escape, but this video seems to be for beginners and that is often a bit too complicated for them.
    Hi I'm not sure how you do it, but when I perform this type of armbar set-up I leave very little gap anywhere (or at least I can't see it). I try to lean all my weight forward through them and drop my supporting knee down to the side. I find this keeps my ass low and enables me to keep close. I find it easy to take white belts and some blue belts with this. If they don't push their arms up, I attack with a collar choke and then armbar them if their defence is shitty.

Against decent grapplers the s-mount is quite nice...I'm not so good with it though, so I use a bicep grip from a normal high mount.

Quote Originally Posted by akiraB View Post
    Out of curiosity what do you do when you get mount ?? just grapevine the legs??
    Push them off or sweep them. If it's a bigger guy and if they have good positioning it's a case of waiting until they come up, then bridge (putting them off balance) and shrimp pushing your opponent away. They may re-establish and get side control but that's something else and at least they're not in mount.

I think he was asking the OP what he did when he got mount. As in, because he thought high mount was weird.

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    I have to admit I have never seen a black belt show armbar from mount like that I have seen a few white belts try it and lose the position and arm though.
    Heres my observations sitting high on the chest is gambiling with ones balance also I find it much easier to escape from this ( inverted escape ) and take the back.
    Taking the wrist has less control and your opponent can snatch it out or wait until you drop back to roll and escape, taking the bicep and ones collar is much tighter if you are doing the armbar with out hands on chest ( like bomberh's example ). If your opponent gable grips I go direct to bicep crush or wristlock and get the tap that way. just my humble opinion
    grabbing the wrist telegraphs the armbar less than grabbing the tricep. the real control of the arm escaping should come from the closeness of your hips not the tricep control. this is a fast basic armbar, not a tight creeping s-mount armbar

high mount is awesome. in my humble opinion if you find it easier to escape out the back it's because the guy isn't good at holding high mount.

bicep slice is legal in gi for brown and above
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by 1inchPonch View Post
    I think he was asking the OP what he did when he got mount. As in, because he thought high mount was weird.
    Oh yeah. Misread what he said, lol. I guess it's just maintaining a solid position. Grapevines are okay to kill some time and make it uncomfortabl fo rthe opponent, especially if it's a comp or MMA.

IMO I don't like mount too much although I've been doing a lot of triangles from mount recently. I like transitioning to side control and knee on stomach, keep it busy. Spinning for armbars is okay but you run the risk of giving up dominant position.

lol at this thread... amazing. I hadn't seen the video until now as it didn't work on my phone.

lol
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

I'd say high mount is my highest % finishing position. It has the most options for attack and least for escape.
    I am number 1, because Picard says so.

Ask Frakes!

Do you know a Fridgeless Fail? Send them HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanFrakes View Post
    I'd say high mount is my highest % finishing position. It has the most options for attack and least for escape.
    End thread right there....

Quote Originally Posted by Frankland View Post
    End thread right there....
    Then we must end it with a T
    I am number 1, because Picard says so.

Ask Frakes!

Do you know a Fridgeless Fail? Send them HERE!