Thread: Anyone have a back injury

Default Anyone have a back injury

Anyone got a back injury. Herniated L5 S1 two years ago and while I have train in Thai, controlled wrestling and boxing BJJ normally kills my back particularly when someone mounts me.

Anyone have any back probs? If so what do you do differently- I know about avoiding takedowns.

Any physios on here that train and can say what the risk is/worst that could happen/ what I should do differently. My physio doesn't think it's a very good idea....

? ne one that could help

better off asking on a bigger forum with more bjj guys like mma.tv or even efn. i know this has been asked a lot before on mma.tv
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

I have a completely herniated L4 L5 and a partially herniated disc above that one.

I was told in 1998 never to train again.

I live with my injuries and there are parts of my game that are weaker than they would be if i was unijured.I make
    up for the problem by being very strong in other areas.

Never give up,do Yoga,watch my stretch routine on you-tube,take Solgar Glucosamine and Solgar Glucosamine/Chondroitin complex
    and buy an orthopedic tempur mattress.

The above will cost you money,but if you try and cut corners like buying cheaper glucosamine then don't wonder why it doesn't work.

Simon

10 characters
    Last edited by The Last Starfighter; 24-01-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Not in the clique

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    I live with my injuries and there are parts of my game that are weaker than they would be if i was unijured.I make up for the problem by being very strong in other areas.

Never give up,do Yoga,watch my stretch routine on you-tube,take Solgar Glucosamine and Solgar Glucosamine/Chondroitin complex and buy an orthopedic tempur mattress.

The above will cost you money,but if you try and cut corners like buying cheaper glucosamine then don't wonder why it doesn't work.

Simon
    What he said.

I've had chronic back problems for last 15 years. Work around it, train smart, nevr give up.

Nathan

PS I wear a Vulcan back support when I teach and train which helps a lot.
    Head Coach at Leicester Shootfighters
    Sponsored by Caged Steel and Empire Fight Shop

Thanks for coming through with some answers guys?

Simon what do you do diff cos if your back/what do you avoid?

Nathan I was wondering what your injury/ies were exactly?

Also what are the risks/what could happen if I get injured now. I've heard I can get paralysed if that happens with a herniated disc, is that true?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    I have a completely herniated L4 L5 and a partially herniated disc above that one.

I was told in 1998 never to train again.

I live with my injuries and there are parts of my game that are weaker than they would be if i was unijured.I make
    up for the problem by being very strong in other areas.

Never give up,do Yoga,watch my stretch routine on you-tube,take Solgar Glucosamine and Solgar Glucosamine/Chondroitin complex
    and buy an orthopedic tempur mattress.

Simon
    have you noticed glucosamine help at all?

i have anterior shoulder instability and it has been suggested for me to take glucosamine along with doing the exercises i have to strengthen it but i'm not sure whether to or not, and also what to buy