Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Kickboxers Out There?

Hybrid View

Default Any Kickboxers Out There?

Hey guys,
    as some people might know I do kickboxing (not muay thai btw) and i was wondering everyone on here seems to do muay thai now I know muay thai is far more popular and i'm not trying to start the trolls saying muay thai>kickboxing. I am just wondering is there anyone else on this thread that does kickboxing/points style?
    Amatuer Kickboxer: 3-0-0

I mostly train kick boxing, Call me a tart but in sparing I would rather take a foot to the face than a knee or an elbow.

We do a little bit of knees & Elbows, & Ground work things like that, but its mostly kick boxing, few guys from the school fight (but not me yet) and I train under an amazing guy called Justyn Billingham in Ascot.

Quote Originally Posted by jose969 View Post
    I mostly train kick boxing, Call me a tart but in sparing I would rather take a foot to the face than a knee or an elbow.
    That's the problem with semi contact Points score more to the head. You can get a spin kick heel right on the nose, fully padded up!
    Muay Thai strikes more to the leg or abdoms. Knees and elbows come in later rounds and probably as a counter attack..

muay thai doesnt strike more to the leg, body kicks are the usual bread and butter of a proper thai camp
    knees and elbows dont have any restriction, knees often happen from the start, elbows just depend on the fighters...
    knees arent just counters either - figthers like Diesel Noi, Noppart Keatkhamtom, Sakadao are aggressive walk forward knee fighters.... they steam in, clinching and kneeing as their main tactic...

sorry but you dont sound like you really have much of an understanding of muay thai.....

kickboxing (im using the generic term to define the long pants, moon boots and kicks above the waist only) is a bit pointless for mma, most pro kickboxing consists of a boxing contest with the odd flicky kick or side kick etc etc or underpowered body kick- might as well just do normal boxing. better off doing a bit of boxing and some proper hard karate (i.e knockdown like Kyokushinkai) if there arent any thai / k1 clubs... than above the waist padded flicky kicking

a k1 style (ie low kicks, knees etc) or muay thai much better IMO (as then you learn proper clinching not japanese anti-thai rules !) - but you need to find a club thats good at one or the other. far too many instructers who really dont have much of a clue on k1 or muay thai.
    Last edited by Yak; 03-02-2011 at 07:20 AM.

To be fair, I've trained at a couple of places and haven't been knee'd or elbow'd in the face while sparring. That's just bad juju. Infact, the worst I ever get in thai sparring is a dead as fuck leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlasmma View Post
    To be fair, I've trained at a couple of places and haven't been knee'd or elbow'd in the face while sparring. That's just bad juju. Infact, the worst I ever get in thai sparring is a dead as fuck leg.
    I fear you underestimate my clumsyness!!

In all fairness Thai is probably more suited to me as I can hardly kick anyone in the head anyway, still i have no intentions of actually fighting anyway mostly just sparing and keeping the belly away, mind you never say never.

Isn't 'kickboxing' just full contact karate?

Quote Originally Posted by Atlasmma View Post
    Isn't 'kickboxing' just full contact karate?
    its close but not the same

i train mma aswell just wondering about everyones thoughts on kickboxing

I heard that kickboxing beats Muay Thai any day of the week, but Aikido beats them both.
    "Awww, so you lost darling - but it's the taking part that counts" My Mum... thanks for nothing Mum.