Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there really different styles of BJJ depending on your school?

Default Are there really different styles of BJJ depending on your school?

Obviously no two instructors will teach BJJ techniques in exactly the same way word for word.

But a triangle is still a triangle and an armbar is still an armbar regardless of where you train, isn't it?

If you train at a Carlson Gracie academy for a month, then train at a Gracie Barra academy for a month will the styles of BJJ be markedly different? What would those differences be?

There are and there aren't. By that I mean that students naturally take on some of the "personality" of the instructor's BJJ, but give it their own flavour. For example De La Riva and Mario Sperry are both Carlson Black Belts, and would teach their version of Carlson's BJJ, the version that works best for them based on their lifetime of training and experience of using those techniques and making them work for their body type etc. There are certain moves that tend to stay within an academy though, Renzo's techniques for the arm in guillotine springs to mind as one example of that.

James

The instructor will make more difference than the club affiliation. Every person's jiu-jitsu will be slightly different.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Different emphasises between schools rather than styles. For example at Mill Hill, both Nick and Daniel have unbelievable grips and this part of the game has influenced me a lot, but also learning from Oli Geddes once a week has made me use half guard a lot more. You definitely pick up from how your own instructor rolls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Meerkatsu's BJJ Blog

So far, I've been a member of eight clubs, and travelled to a few others. I haven't noticed a massive difference in the actual techniques, but the structure of teaching does vary.

For example, at GB Birmingham, they focused on a small set of techniques for a month at a time (e.g., when I was there, it was De La Riva sweeps and passes in August, Butterfly sweeps and passes in September, etc). At RGA Bucks, Kev tends to pick a position and work it for a week (e.g., he might go with closed guard, and show a sweep and a pass on Tuesday, an armbar and a triangle on Thursday, another sweep and a choke on Friday, etc). At other schools, they might teach a broad range of techniques without any clear structure, or perhaps just base it on asking the students what they'd like to work (especially if the students are senior belts).

The other thing that varies is atmosphere. Some places put a lot of emphasis on cardio and tough, aggressive sparring (which might also be emphasised by a long warm-up, brief bit of technique, then loads of free sparring). Others prefer to stay relaxed and urge people to use technique above all else (e.g., a fairly brief warm-up, lots of technique, specific sparring, then a couple of rounds of free sparring at the end).

Then again, that is rarely uniform across the entire membership: in a 'relaxed' club, you'll still get people who approach sparring with a very competitive mindset and go hard, and similarly in a more 'aggressive' club, there will be some laid-back training partners. It can also vary by instructor: if there are multiple instructors at the school, they may well have contrasting teaching styles and therefore structure their classes differently.

i think youll have to be good at bjj before you can have a style

and all the people that have a bjj style would already be good at bjj but they like to do things their preferred way and are thinking way ahead because they can comprehend bjj at that level in real time

for me im doing what i can do, and loads of that is full of little mistakes etc and im better and worse at different things. but another white belt might be better at other things but that doesnt mean we have diff styles cos we cant even do bjj yet

Fundamentals always remain the same

Everyone adds their own flavour

We drill everything in the nude. It changes your game a little.
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

Quote Originally Posted by liamwandi View Post
    We drill everything in the nude. It changes your game a little.
    Im yet to see a variation on the Oil Check from back mount.

Stapes
    Michael Stapleton stapesmk1@hotmail.com (Not Martin Stapleton)

Quote Originally Posted by stapesmk1 View Post
    Im yet to see a variation on the Oil Check from back mount.

Stapes
    hahahaha this one almost thru me off my chair Stapes hahahaha

I'm whispering that next session "Now, oil check"
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me