Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: BJC BJA judo

  1. #1

    Default BJC BJA judo

    Looking to start judo to complement my mma.

    Which association affiliated club would be best to join BJC or BJA . I heard one is more kata based and one alot more competition sparring based ? Is this right?
    As Im starting to complement my main interest mma which would be best. Cheers

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raoh View Post
    Looking to start judo to complement my mma.

    Which association affiliated club would be best to join BJC or BJA . I heard one is more kata based and one alot more competition sparring based ? Is this right?
    As Im starting to complement my main interest mma which would be best. Cheers
    Nope what you heard is a fallacy. The best one to join would depend on what clubs are in your area and the quality of the respective clubs. Also not that I'm saying you will do this...but.....when you go to judo try and learn judo. Don't go and try and learn only techniques that you think will transfer to your MMA game. Learn all of the fundamental principles of judo including using the gi and throwing from collar/sleeve grip. Learning the principles and fundamentals will improve your game far more than dipping in and learning a bastardised collection of individual techniques.

    With regards the BJC and BJA

    The BJA grading syllabus used to be heavily contest focused with little technical knowledge required. However, they have changed this. You still need to fight for your black belt but brown belts and below are earned purely through technical knowledge.

    The BJC grading syllabus encourages a more japanese style judo. It also maintains judo's self defence curriculum by way of the self defence katas. However, in the BJC you must win 3 fights at a grading contest to obtain all belts blue belt and above. So perversely the BJC grading structure is now more contest orientated (as well as having technical content)
    Last edited by bomberh; 25-01-2011 at 12:20 PM.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bomberh View Post
    Nope what you heard is a fallacy. The best one to join would depend on what clubs are in your area and the quality of the respective clubs. Also not that I'm saying you will do this...but.....when you go to judo try and learn judo. Don't go and try and learn only techniques that you think will transfer to your MMA game. Learn all of the fundamental principles of judo including using the gi and throwing from collar/sleeve grip. Learning the principles and fundamentals will improve your game far more than dipping in and learning a bastardised collection of individual techniques.
    With regards the BJC and BJA
    The BJA grading syllabus used to be heavily contest focused with little technical knowledge required. However, they have changed this. You still need to fight for your black belt but brown belts and below are earned purely through technical knowledge.

    The BJC grading syllabus encourages a more japanese style judo. It also maintains judo's self defence curriculum by way of the self defence katas. However, in the BJC you must win 3 fights at a grading contest to obtain all belts blue belt and above. So perversely the BJC grading structure is now more contest orientated (as well as having technical content)
    Cheers bomerth thats a great help mate. Theres looks to be a good bjc club near me so going to give it a go
    Can I ask also if you are graded by the bjc is it reconised by the bja could there be a cross over if you started training at a different club . Would you keep your belt rank ?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raoh View Post
    Cheers bomerth thats a great help mate. Theres looks to be a good bjc club near me so going to give it a go
    Can I ask also if you are graded by the bjc is it reconised by the bja could there be a cross over if you started training at a different club . Would you keep your belt rank ?
    No problem mate.

    The BJC are affiliated to the BJA. BJA members can fight at BJC events and BJC fighters can fight at BJA events. With regards grades they too are also recognised, so if you moved club you would continue from your current grade no problem. However, if you wanted to be promoted further, the instructor at the new club would probably make you learn or demonstrate his own clubs / associations syllabus before promoting you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.