Thread: Is it condescending to say to someone before roll 'can you attack me from north south

Default Is it condescending to say to someone before roll 'can you attack me from north south

As of latly all i can think about is trying new stuff that i am shown in class. It's getting to a stage where i just want to put myself in the worst possible persition and start rolling from there. I.e If am thinking about my kimura defence from botton north south. During sparring i would rather just say to the guy can you attack me from there?

The problem is maybe he wants to practise a certain sequence which requires that i am trying to pass his guard..

The solution i think would just be to some how put myself in that postion without telling him and work from there?

Is that type of think annoying? It's funny i was sparring good purple the other day-getting ready for a good spar and he automatically went to turtle-i was annoyed abit as i wanted to do other stuff but know i understand why he wants to do that-

people tell me sometimes start from side or whatever, i dont mind

Nothing wrong with it at all IMO.

If you're better than someone then they should be happy to get an opportunity to attack from a good position. However, I try to let people think they've genuinely got to a position rather than asking, I find they attack harder that way.

As for going to turtle, I start rolls that way all the time... or I drop myself into side control. It's just training, shouldn't bother anyone. If anyone wants me to just go flat out, I am happy to comply.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

just ask nicely, they might not mind
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

at the moment, i can't train from the bottom at all as i screwed my MCL. everyone here is cool to let me start from top of guard and try and pass

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    If you're better than someone then they should be happy to get an opportunity to attack from a good position. However, I try to let people think they've genuinely got to a position rather than asking, I find they attack harder that way.
    I'd agree with this. A couple of times I've had more experienced grapplers ask me to mount them or get side control and we start from there. I hated it and performed much worse against them as a result. I can't give it my best shot if I have an advantage to start with.
    Fitch's fan

If you make it too easy to get to that position, sometimes it makes people go all defensive because they are really worried that you have something special planned. I think you should make people feel like they've really achieved something and then they are more likely to attack as well because there confidence is up. If this post sounds a bit patronising, I've seen this from both sides. When a higher belt lets me get to some position I think, am I supposed to be proving my technique here or something? It can be a bit uncomfortable sometimes.

dont overthink, just try and finish like normal

im a noob bjjer and sometimes i get the more experianced guys sitting back or letting me go into half guard, side control, but it doesnt bother me, ill try to work from the position i get(mostly i get swept tho ) And coz i am always the lightest guy, i pull guard against fellow newbies and try to work from there.