Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is dojime Illigal for BJJ?

I know this guy who tries this sort of thing all the time. He's either not applying it correctly or for some other reason it won't work on me.

Also keeps trying this thing from scarf-hold where the arm that isn't round my neck grabs my leg and squeezes from there or something? Again, doesn't do anything for me but I've seen him tapping people with that.

Quote Originally Posted by nihilist View Post
    I know this guy who tries this sort of thing all the time. He's either not applying it correctly or for some other reason it won't work on me.
    It's not really a high percentage move.
    Also keeps trying this thing from scarf-hold where the arm that isn't round my neck grabs my leg and squeezes from there or something? Again, doesn't do anything for me but I've seen him tapping people with that.
    Bas Rutten Neck Crank! Yay!

go figure it's something from the Rutten playbook. I can draw similarities between this guy and him..

go figure it's something from the Rutten playbook. I can draw similarities between this guy and him..
    He's Dutch, has no hair and is awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosi View Post
    Not sure I agree with this in general.

There's a whole bunch of stuff that is competition legal and unpleasant / painful - but just doesn't work very well against someone who really cares about winning and doesn't mind being sore for a few days afterwards. Using stuff like that in training might get you a few gym taps (who wants a sore back / neck / ribs / whatever every training session?), but is likely to make you pretty unpopular with your training partners and only gives you a false sense of how well your game works. IMO.
    Thanks Rosi, my point exactly.

I've said this many many times before. I'm a big softie. I don't like unnecessarily hurting my friends or anyone for that matter. I put a lot of pressure on them and make them work hard every roll but unless they are specifically preparing for a competition where things such as facebars...etc. are allowed I don't see a point in doing that to them.

The particular example of dojime from guard is indeed very easy to counter, which makes it weak jiu jitsu in my eyes. Also, I can't see a smaller person pulling it off against someone bigger with more than 2 brain cells and 6-10 months of experience. If someone did that to me now, I'd neutralise it, pass guard get to side then mount and finish them with a very controlled armlock or choke. That's beautiful jiu jitsu (in my eyes).

If you are strong enough to wrap someone's head from mount and squeeze till they tap, does that make it jiu jitsu? If someone thinks that, I hope they never train with me. I'm very delicate.
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer