Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elevation Training Mask

Hybrid View

Default Elevation Training Mask

Elevation Training Mask

And no, it's not a fetish item.

Basically, it simulates altitude training within the mask. We've all heard of fighters going up to Big Bear for their camps but now, you can do it in the comfort of your own gym.

It would be interesting to see some Elevation Training Mask reviews out there very soon. I also believe Sean Sherk helped develop this thing.
    MMA Gear and Equipment Review Site
    http://MMAGearGuide.net

This brings back horrible memories of NBC gas chamber training..

Looks like a great bit of kit, wouldn't want to be seen in public using it tho lol !

Pro Fighter
    Allan "No" Love
    Dinky Ninja

How is this meant to work as I'm pretty sure it won't recreate the conditions of training at altitude?

It might make having someone put their hand over your mouth less uncomfortable but unless there's something pretty clever going on in there that I can't see it's not going to help with shit. In fact it'd actually reduce your trainings effectiveness.

We will be stocking these within he next week or two and they will be available at trade prices for gyms and re-sellers.

How They Work

They replicate the effect of training at altitude by depriving the body of Oxygen. The body reacts to the reduction in available oxygen by increasing the amount of red blood cells so that it can make better use of the oxygen that is available. When the subject reverts to normal breathing (removes the mask) the amount of red blood cells has increased and thus the amount of Oxygen that can be processed by the body has increased. This is what altitude training does.

I don't know how long it takes to notice any effect nor do I know how long the effect lasts or how many sessions you need to get any effect etc. Once they are here we will be working with a number of gyms to see just what degree of effect they have and how they should be best used in order to gain maximum benefit.

That said what does seem to be certain is hat they do indeed have a positive effect and increase the oxygen take up of the user.

Hypoxia training is bollocks (not wanting to lose business for Fightshop)
    www.vtjiujitsu.co.uk - Part of the Bristol Alliance

Wiltshire's Strongest Person 2008

House of Pain Bantamweight British Champion

Rally driver extraordinaire!

Pro Fighter
    Allan "No" Love
    Dinky Ninja

The theory behind altitude training and red blood cell increase is based on the reduction of air density and thus the fewer oxygen molecules per litre of air. Whether or not altitude training has a real benefit to performance is an ongoing debate that is beyond my understanding of sports science and physiology. However as an engineer I can tell the difference between a reduction in the density of air and a reduction in volume of air.

Breathing apparatus as described will not reduce the density of the air but instead reduce the total volume or effort required to bring the same volume of air into the lungs, this will not have the same effect as having reduced density air and will not lead to increased red blood cell production and instead will just artificially limit the work that can be done by the athlete in a session which is something surely we want to avoid.

I don't see how this can be useful except for the pyschological aspect of making this hard and making you more confident in your ability to over come adversity.

However if there's any evidence to the contrary I'd love to see it.

(Note by evidence i'm looking for peer reviewed study not claims by the manufacturer or anecdotal evidence from someone that's used one)

[QUOTE=Allan Shrek;730829]The theory behind altitude training and red blood cell increase is based on the reduction of air density and thus the fewer oxygen molecules per litre of air. Whether or not altitude training has a real benefit to performance is an ongoing debate that is beyond my understanding of sports science and physiology. However as an engineer I can tell the difference between a reduction in the density of air and a reduction in volume of air.

Reduction in density and reduction in volume surely have the same effect i.e. less Oxygen molecules available for the body to use ?

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Shrek View Post
    Whether or not altitude training has a real benefit to performance is an ongoing debate that is beyond my understanding of sports science and physiology.
    Altitude training is effective. If you do not usually live at altitude, the effects will dissipate within a week or so once you return to sea level. The benefits come from living at altitude, not from the training. Restricting oxygen during training will result in poorer performance. An ideal set up would be to live at altitude and come down for training sessions, then go back up. Hypoxia training is the opposite of this and offers the worst of both worlds - training with less oxygen and acclimatising to a sea level environment.

Using some basic common sense, 30 minutes a day in that thing isn't going to be anything close to spending 24 hours per day at altitude.

Again, apologies for doing anyone out of any business but people who are looking to train hard don't deserve be wasting their money on this.
    Last edited by Leigh; 11-02-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    www.vtjiujitsu.co.uk - Part of the Bristol Alliance

Wiltshire's Strongest Person 2008

House of Pain Bantamweight British Champion

Rally driver extraordinaire!

**NSFW**
    Paul Jenkins
    Pro Fighter

I'm gonna buy one. Just to fuck in.....

When you gonna stock the Dan Hardy signature model ???

The Hands
    "Try masturbating during a thunderstorm. Seriously. It makes you feel like Thor."

Here Come Da Pain......

www.dogsofwar.info

Nice explanation Allan

@Hands - LMFAO