Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elevation Training Mask

Quote Originally Posted by Osaka Fight Gear View Post
    Also seems kinda pricey ($89.99) how much will it be over here fightshop? found a russian one for 14.95 lol...doesn't look very "cool" though. http://www.surplusandadventure.com/s...-f-224059.html
    I dont know ho much yet as I am yet to get a definitive answer from HMRC on what the import duty will be.

[QUOTE=Allan Shrek;730829]The theory behind altitude training and red blood cell increase is based on the reduction of air density and thus the fewer oxygen molecules per litre of air. Whether or not altitude training has a real benefit to performance is an ongoing debate that is beyond my understanding of sports science and physiology. However as an engineer I can tell the difference between a reduction in the density of air and a reduction in volume of air.

Reduction in density and reduction in volume surely have the same effect i.e. less Oxygen molecules available for the body to use ?

Pro Fighter
    Allan "No" Love
    Dinky Ninja

Nope it doesn't have the same effect. It's to do with partial pressures and the transfer of oxygen through the lungs into the bloodstream.

Go on and get some clinical trials that show the same effect, they don't exist.

Ryan White
    Pro Fighter

im just waiting on mine to come
    the bullshit stops when the cage door locks!!! @prosystemsmma

for a tenner an hour, i will jump on your back and hold a partial pressure rear naked choke on you while you train away - guaranteed to make you hard as fook.
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Shrek View Post
    Whether or not altitude training has a real benefit to performance is an ongoing debate that is beyond my understanding of sports science and physiology.
    Altitude training is effective. If you do not usually live at altitude, the effects will dissipate within a week or so once you return to sea level. The benefits come from living at altitude, not from the training. Restricting oxygen during training will result in poorer performance. An ideal set up would be to live at altitude and come down for training sessions, then go back up. Hypoxia training is the opposite of this and offers the worst of both worlds - training with less oxygen and acclimatising to a sea level environment.

Using some basic common sense, 30 minutes a day in that thing isn't going to be anything close to spending 24 hours per day at altitude.

Again, apologies for doing anyone out of any business but people who are looking to train hard don't deserve be wasting their money on this.
    Last edited by Leigh; 11-02-2011 at 01:25 PM.
    www.vtjiujitsu.co.uk - Part of the Bristol Alliance

Wiltshire's Strongest Person 2008

House of Pain Bantamweight British Champion

Rally driver extraordinaire!

I'll be posting an article with research studies and whatnot on my new website with regards to the matter. Now that this mainstream product has come out and is more widely available (as opposed to the Wandy days where they used a modified snorkel system with a nose plug) then I reckon that it is something that should be discussed to inform more people about how these things work, what research has been done and etc.
    MMA Gear and Equipment Review Site
    http://MMAGearGuide.net

Pro Fighter
    Allan "No" Love
    Dinky Ninja

I look forward to reading said articles and looking at the scientific methods employed but I just can't see how this is going to work.

I'll try to make it as objective as possible mate, informative at the least.
    MMA Gear and Equipment Review Site
    http://MMAGearGuide.net