Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a good club in the portsmouth area

Default looking for a good club in the portsmouth area

Hi all,

I'm looking to take up thai boxing and I'm searching for a club in the portsmouth area. Could you guys recommend me one? Or advice on what to look for in a good club.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, it appears no one has replied :P I did a quick google search and found this http://www.portsmouththaiboxing.co.uk/ - Anyone heard of this place?

On paper clubs may look good mate, only way to find out is to get yourself down there. If there are a few clubs in the area, go to all of them, and go to whichever one you feel is best. Which one the trainer helps you most etc. There are a lot of factors, but some trainers are in it for the money.

Get yourself to a few clubs mate and see which one is the best for you.

I'm not from portsmouth, there may be someone who replies who is and who can advise you on the better clubs etc. But even that comes down to opinion. That is what I'd do if there was a couple of clubs. Don't try and you'll never know.
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

Ah thanks mate. Could you tell me what to look for in a good club? I was told that I should check to see if they have any fighters/how technique is taught and how conditioning is done..is this correct? Anything else you would like to add?

Thanks in advance!

A mixture of things, does the coach manage to get round all of the lads in the session, or does he spend a decent bit of time teaching you. Do the lads have egos? Is it close to home, or do you have a big journey on your hands, that can be daunting. The conditioning etc. comes into it later on once you start getting better/getting towards potential fights etc. Yes most clubs have fighters, (decent ones any way) Look at fights and if the fighters are getting their names up there in the rankings.

The main thing is, do you enjoy it...
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

I totally agree and thanks for the tips and advice. I want to learn the art as it'll teach me a) self defense and b) keep me fit. I'm not looking to compete and hopefully this isn't frowned upon. Once I've relocated I'll go check the place out and again thanks for the advice!

It's not frowned upon, but as you can expect there is only a certain level you will get to within the club. i.e you won't acheive a certain level and then start testing yourself against others in interclubs or competitions. You'll basically just remain at that level, and be training for fitness etc.

Definately good for fitness, and also as you said self defence. a well placed leg kick can be rather effective into turning a drunken chav into a hobbling idiot who regrets starting trouble.

Just out of interest is there a particular reason you don't want to compete? You may find once you start sparring with the lads that you enjoy it and want to test yourself by competing.

Best of luck with "relocating" and finding a club mate, enjoy it.

Ah I see. The reason I don't want to compete is because of how my life is organised (strange, I know). I have time for two sessions a week as I train x3 strength training. My Saturdays and Sundays involve me traveling back home. But like you said, I may change my tune once I get into it :P

Ah right, you very well may do mate, just wait and see eh.

Fingers crossed you find yourself a club and get yourself down there anyway. The first step is the hardest :P

try big bri at south coast submissions, he's the real deal