Thread: Boxing In Schools

Default Boxing In Schools

Over the last year or two the has been a lot in the news about boxing being reintroduced to schools in the UK.

I was just wandering if anyone knew of any studies into the benefits of boxing in schools. Or any other evidence.

My cat's name is Mittens ralphylad's Avatar

I think its been more abotu competative sports rather than boxing,
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6312589.stm

I think the prelim awards are ok but you are playing a risky game when introducing sparing outside an aba venue with aba qualified coaches opposed to tutors
    "I honestly can't even remember my old signature, so I'll have this one"

Sweet, not we will get a generation of little cunts who will actually know who to fight.

why have you posted two threads on the same subject bro? I was automatically going to ban you when i saw two threads of the same subject, on autopilot from banning about 20 spammers who've signed up recently selling microwaves and jimmy choo fucking shoes.
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

Boxing in schools was the norm, years ago. There is no reason why it shouldnt work again.

Sports when i was at school was a fucking joke, to football orientated. Woud have loved some kabaddi.
    "CAGED STEEL WE SALUTE YOU"

I do a lot of work for private schools and most of them have boxing clubs. A few of the boxers from 1 school in particular could go pretty far if they want to although they will probably become bankers or tories like everyone else from the school. I think eventually a lot of competitive sports (apart from football which seems to attracted the less intelligent participant) will be full of toffs due to them having much better facilities and more emphasis on sports within education. Nearly all the private schools i've worked for have high standard teams at rugby, hockey, swimming, athletics etc. Most also have Judo clubs as well as sports that most people would never get the opportunity to participate in such as surfing and sailing as part of the standard PE classes.

Inner City tennis is the way forward. Bringing tennis to the hoodies. "Its Juice bredrin , you cant be serious, I is gonna wet u up"
    "CAGED STEEL WE SALUTE YOU"

Quote Originally Posted by mcgovern View Post
    Inner City tennis is the way forward. Bringing tennis to the hoodies. "Its Juice bredrin , you cant be serious, I is gonna wet u up"
    haha! ^

Seriously though, boxing in schools is a good idea, as is thai, bjj, judo, and any other martial art... if its taught properly

martial arts/combat sports teach kids respect and give them something to focus on, so it keeps them out of bother, there will always be a select few will use it to case trouble (eg bullies who know how to box are more dangerous than bullies who don't), but on the whole it will benefit the majority
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by ross90 View Post
    why have you posted two threads on the same subject bro? I was automatically going to ban you when i saw two threads of the same subject, on autopilot from banning about 20 spammers who've signed up recently selling microwaves and jimmy choo fucking shoes.
    I posted it first time on my iphone and it came up with an error

Quote Originally Posted by ralphylad View Post
    I think its been more abotu competative sports rather than boxing,
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6312589.stm

I think the prelim awards are ok but you are playing a risky game when introducing sparing outside an aba venue with aba qualified coaches opposed to tutors
    The awards system i have been looking at only lets kids spar at registered ABA gyms. They do all the other training in school and then the sparring at a local gym