Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cashing in on the MMA craze

Default Cashing in on the MMA craze

Hey all, its been a while since i posted but having looked at the recent threads its reassuring to know that everyone is still giving jono the dirty little paedo a justifiably hard time and that fuck all else really happens apart from spam.

I was hoping to get some insights into what people think makes a place an MMA gym and what if anything could or should be done to people trying to cash in on the popularity of MMA.

For clarity, this is part of an ongoing dispute i am having with somebody who claims his coach is teaching MMA, and i have now found out that his coach is advertising as an MMA gym despite having never competed nor having any inclination to train people for competition.

My argument is that, as MMA is not a style but a set of rules, if you are not competing under those rules then you are not doing MMA.

I have also argued that the fact that they wear Gi's (black) and have a belt system are also signs that they are not 'doing' MMA but he swears they are.

A couple of other factors:

almost zero sparring
    Technique too dangerous to be practiced at anything other than very gentle power levels
    A odd sense of (empty) empowerment from the students, who seem to feel that the training is making them invincible.

Im curious to know what people would do about such a club in their area.

I might have the opportunity to take a select few guys down on Sunday to roll with them, last time i did i was quite respectful and didn't do anything to shatter their illusions, but should i? and should it be done in an insidious fashion guiding them towards an epiphany or should it perhaps be done in a more direct and brutal fashion?

I like the idea behind what you are saying dude, you could even suggest an inter club if he would be up for that, although by the sounds of it, popping down for a session seems more likely to happen.

Personally, i would shatter the illusions, there's nothing worse than mcdojo's...I'm not suggesting said fellow is one, however he is massivly misguided if he thinks it is MMA he is teaching and taking part in. He should advertise and teach if that's what he want's to do, but at least be honest with yourself and your students about exactly what it is you are teaching, and taking part in.

Possibly scope the place out first, a recce mission. Obviously mention to the guy you've "done a bit before..." so he doesn't become suspicious when all of the new guys pick it up really well lol. Then after a recce mission, plan the final attack, possibly be a bit more brutal this time, depending on if the guy is cashing in on it, or generally misinformed/misguided as to what it is he is doing.

Definately a brutal illusion shattering epiphany of a dojo raid though when you do pull it off
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

MMA is essentially no gi. It is also full contact, although I guess this can be modified for kids classes.

three words:

vale tudo shorts

i know the guy well, when last time i trained with them they were doing a kata-less style of karate not sure which, and did some limited grappling.

years ago they advertised as no nonsense karate, but now they are openly telling people that they teach MMA.

Recon is probably not needed in this case as i know them so well. And they are fully aware of our background and that we compete.

It is frustrating me that people confuse his gym with mine, for years we have had very few students because training for a full contact sport is demanding and difficult, but now that it is becoming ever more popular and mainstream the growing pool of prospective new students are being confused by his misapropriating of the term!

I am having to share the market with a wannabe.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogmma View Post
    I am having to share the market with a wannabe.
    Then shatter his illusion like a mother licking illusion shatterer
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

Ross

People in sheffield are doing the same, claiming they teach MMA, while really they teach a Mix of Martial Arts I.e JJJ, kickboxing, kapap, karate. Fucking clowns.

hi when i moved house i had to find a new gym, which advertised as 'BJJ' and MMA but was in fact like the gym u mention. needless to say after about 6 months of training i thought i was the tits, so i entered a sub grap comp and got done in about 45 seconds in front of all my mates and new girlfrend. Taught me a good lesson.
    In my opinion a coach is only as good as his students, mma is a sport so its only natural to want to compete, gyms that have no competing students cant really be up to much, so i think you have a duty to go down there and show them the light before they wast more time learning shit.

Live and let live I say.
    There students would probably not survive in real MMA so let them train in what they do.
    People do Trad and modern martial arts for a very wide range of reasons and if some people are training pseudo MMA to keep fit, boost confidence or to have something to talk about at diner parties, that's up to them.

Keep your own house in order and anyone serious about MMA in your area will make the right choice themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamM View Post
    Live and let live I say.
    There students would probably not survive in real MMA so let them train in what they do.
    People do Trad and modern martial arts for a very wide range of reasons and if some people are training pseudo MMA to keep fit, boost confidence or to have something to talk about at diner parties, that's up to them.

Keep your own house in order and anyone serious about MMA in your area will make the right choice themselves.

^ this!!!!

If people want to train "mma" with no sparring, and low contact, for whatever reason then let them do it

when they want to move up a level and train mma properly, welcome them to your gym
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge