Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cashing in on the MMA craze

Quote Originally Posted by Osaka Fight Gear View Post
    there are still people who think mma is a mix of martial styles though, only a few weeks ago i was speaking to a young dude who said something like "i love watching the ufc and mma, but i looked into it and when it first started out it was people who were good at a couple of different martial arts, so instead of going to an MMA class i thought it would be better to learn karate and judo"..... i tried to explain but it didn't work out.
    Hahahaha! He has a point but is also missing the point! I don't mind if they are doing a mix of styles put then putting it together in a competative or full sparring enviroment - otherwise it simply is not close to 'training MMA'

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinSubz02 View Post
    Hahahaha! He has a point but is also missing the point! I don't mind if they are doing a mix of styles put then putting it together in a competative or full sparring enviroment - otherwise it simply is not close to 'training MMA'
    I know i tried to explain lol, just gave up eventually. He told me he went to one or two MMA classes but he thought it was crap...funniest thing is the place he went is actually a decent gym with guys fighting pro and semi-pro out of there :S lol.

http://www.watsonsma.com/hours-of-operation.asp

My local McDojo.

They dont compete & dont even spar. Theyll do shadow sparring during sessions, zero contact.

My issue with McDojos arent the the douche bags make from "UFC", its instilling false belief in people that they are Black Belts in a martial art. Giving them misplaced confidence in their ability to defend themselves 'on the street'. Sure doing the fitness aspects will get them fit, but those looking for fitness could go join a gym, do Body Pump or even plain old Boxercise.

Those inspired to learn a martial art because of UFC are being short changed & those looking for the ability to batter an attacker are being misled. So, these places should be shut down, or forced to call their product UFCERCISE.

Gym invasions to man handle everyone is only way to go.

I'm really in two minds about this. My best pal's sister recently mentioned on her facebook status that she was gunning for her black belt and when I asked her what she was training in she told me MMA and where she trained. Didnt have the heart to tell her it wasnt MMA and to be fair, MMA is not mentioned or promoted anywhere on their website...

"Our style is a unique blend that utilises the explosive hand & feet combinations of Sport Karate, Tae Kwon Do and Kickboxing alongside self-defence techniques, joint locks, Kyusho Jitsu (pressure points), weapon work and Korean patterns".

I think there's two initial scenarios. One is where gyms are genuinely jumping on the bandwagon to pursue , status, reputation or a combination of all three. This includes new start up gyms and TMA gyms who rebrand themselves. Within this scenario, you get people who train there with the best of intentions and who have been conned (these are innocent victims) and you also get the dickheads who train for all the wrong reasons, want to be a cage fighter and would be a dickhead even if they trained at a top legit mma gym (no sympathy is to be given to these sorts).

The second scenario is where the gym legitimately (naively) believes that any mixture of styles constitutes mixed martial arts, as we all did in 1993. They are outdated, oblivious, possibly even stubborn or dismissive, but in general they are harmless and believe in what they are doing, not just after a quick . The difference here is semantics and a misunderstanding of what MMA is.

I dont subscribe to the idea that because MMA doesnt have a governing body then its not a legitimate sport. MMA has developed to the stage where it is a recognised enity, a sport, with a form all of its own. People in the second scenario either just dont get that MMA is a sport in itself and still subscribe to the multi style way of thinking, or they are just too proud. The students in this scenario are far more likely to have the best of intentions, but be extremely misguided than be dickheads. Any UFC nut intent on being a cage fighting warrior would choke on their can of Rockstar at the thought of training karate or taekwondo at one of these places.

In most cases Id say live at let live. If someone loves what they are doing, gets physical and wellbeing benefits, then who are we to point out they are wrong or misguided. Leave em to it.

In the more sinister cases Id say gym smash and teach them a lesson. Both from a reputation point of view and from a business point of view. Times are hard so why lose income and the next generation of fighters to these pricks? Why should those at legit MMA clubs bust their arse day in day out and put up with these idiots rocking up like a bunch of unwelcome pissed up gyppos????

Food for thought anyway.

Stapes
    Michael Stapleton stapesmk1@hotmail.com (Not Martin Stapleton)

To be fair , I suspect the majority of people that go to these type of place dont really want a proper fighter's type gym.Theres an awful lot of people out there that like the idea of "doing mma" but dont much fancy getting punched in the face as part of the process. The club i used to train at before i concentrated on BJJ would have hard sparring every class , and we would struggle to get 7 or 8 regulars, most people would come along for the free session , declare they loved every minute and you'd never see them again . However , i went along to to another club a couple of times where they did barely any sparring at all and the place was rammed . likewise when I used to do traditional martial arts (with very light-type sparring) there would be 30 odd people or more every class .

I think people that really want to train mma will pop along to these mcdojo style places and realise quite quickly its not for them , so in that respect I dont think they will be competing for the same customers.
    This may just be a local thing mind you ,cos i go to another town for my BJJ and that place gets very busy sometimes.

I've given it a lot of thought, and i think i am going to give them the benefit of the doubt. I myself started in the trad arts, and from there got into cross training. during my time cross training i treated every art i practiced with equal value. when i look back on it there was a lot of crap training mixed in with the good stuff. It took me a long time to sift through it all and find good practical training.

I might take a few lads down to have a friendly roll with them soon, just to help steer them along the path, no rude awakening though.