Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cashing in on the MMA craze

Quote Originally Posted by AdamM View Post
    Live and let live I say.
    There students would probably not survive in real MMA so let them train in what they do.
    People do Trad and modern martial arts for a very wide range of reasons and if some people are training pseudo MMA to keep fit, boost confidence or to have something to talk about at diner parties, that's up to them.

Keep your own house in order and anyone serious about MMA in your area will make the right choice themselves.
    Very good post.

To be honest the true Traditional places hate MMA and don't entertain it, I went to a Judo place and I was the outcast because I had MMA gear on ha ha.

The ones who are "cashing in" get exposed eventually, then the people move on to proper MMA gyms, like what was his name? The dude the forum helped out ha ha

Here's the problem

Money Talks and Butt Shit runs the Marathon

I have been doing Karate for over 25 years and Ju Jitsu for nearly 20 ~ I never advertise as an MMA Class I advertise as a Free Style Karate Class with aspects of Ju Jitsu

these clowns need a slap but you need to be the bigger man and just wait , when his students are finding that they are not doing any more than rolling around they wil come to you

here is a classic of making money from MMA

Customer comes in my shop early last year for kit and starts going on about training UFC

I explained to him that UFC was not a system but he would none of it and started having a go about what the fuck do I know I only work in a shop

I then googled my name which brought up all my Karate Info and he then shut the fuck up

You can sell shit to any one if you dress it up enough

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C.K.A.Martial Arts View Post
    Customer comes in my shop....
    haha any fresh tales of customer idiocy?

CKA Blog "Customer Comes Into My Shop...." Blog Series!

Jimmy deserves part of the credit

Ross

Personally I have no issues with what anyone wants to train, if they want to train in kung fu then you go girl. What I don't like is instructors/ clubs lieing and claiming to be an MMA Team/ Gym or even the Best MMA Team in the city, when realistically there's a boxing coach who's done a bit of trad jitsu and now thinks he can cash in on people who don't know what's going on.

Ross

Dojo Invasions were established for these reasons

There are loads of gym's like the one originally described, seems that most commonly they were previously a kickboxing school or karate/tkd or similar and the instructor has watched a bas rutten dvd or something and decided to market his class as being MMA now. Obviously there are some legitimate guys's that have brought in new coaches for things they themselves aren't capable of teaching but not too many it seems.

As others have said they will get exposed and people who are serious about it will simply go and find a better gym, others will train and not really care if it's keeping them fit tbh

Yeah its not MMA, its a mix of martial styles but MMA is 100% the sport and a club involved in MMA should teach MMA. To be honest - I would actually support a club invasion at a stupid ass gym like that - its like that other one that was on here recently - ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinSubz02 View Post
    Yeah its not MMA, its a mix of martial styles but MMA is 100% the sport and a club involved in MMA should teach MMA. To be honest - I would actually support a club invasion at a stupid ass gym like that - its like that other one that was on here recently - ridiculous
    there are still people who think mma is a mix of martial styles though, only a few weeks ago i was speaking to a young dude who said something like "i love watching the ufc and mma, but i looked into it and when it first started out it was people who were good at a couple of different martial arts, so instead of going to an MMA class i thought it would be better to learn karate and judo"..... i tried to explain but it didn't work out.