Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self Defence

Default Self Defence

Has anyone here been in a situation where they needed to defend themselves? I don't mean a fight or sport. The way I personally define the two:

Fight: result of one party refusing to opt out (not using soft skills or apologizing)
    Sport: Involves ref, rules, time limits...etc.
    Self Defence: result of surprise grab / strike / tackle with aim to hurt or steal from
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

By that definition, once. And I probably wouldn't have been badly hurt even if I'd 'lost'.

Where does it fall in your classification if you could walk away but other people are in danger they can't avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurning View Post
    By that definition, once. And I probably wouldn't have been badly hurt even if I'd 'lost'.

Where does it fall in your classification if you could walk away but other people are in danger they can't avoid.
    Wear a cape and some vague disguise and it's called being a super hero
    http://www.isaninja.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    Wear a cape and some vague disguise and it's called being a super hero
    Don't I need a tragic origin story as well?

I can think of a couple of times. I guess the most serious time was three guys trying to mug me in Brazil. Was in Florianopolis walking round in a bit of a daydream as a I too often do. (would not be like that in Rio, but Florianopolis is supposed to be fairly safe, so was off my guard). Suddenly I am awoken from by slumber by a really angry guy in front me shouting at me in portugese. Dont speak portugese, brain starts trying to work out why he is angry at me. Then hit on back of the head by what I think was open hand slap. Look round, oops there are also two guys behind me. Brain still not understand why they angry, but decides dont like being surrounded. Put head down and kind of bullrush through the guy in front of me, run a few paces up the road, then turn round still trying to figure out what their problem is. They wearing usual Brazil outfit of t-shirt and shorts, really no place for concealed weapons and shit, therefore was not overy frightened (ok a bit), but also starting to get annoyed myself. I think my general body language convinced them that not as easy target as first impression, so they fucked off to look for someone else. Remember them stripping off t-shirts as they ran off, which vaguely reminded me of a scene from "City of God". About ten minutes think hmmm they probably wanted money from me. Sometimes I very slow.

Best martial art for this situation? RUGBY! I used to hate that shit at school ironicaly, but was compulsary.

Every weekend in Manchetser city centre on the doors, but thats the job.
    Mike "the mic" Persil

Heard another similar story from a friend in Eastern Europe. Fairly drunk English rugby player walking home by himself (proper rugby player, rather that talentless fat bloke like me) gets jumped by some Russian kids. Basically shakes them all off rugby style, turns round and asks "What the fuck do you want?" He was genuinely not even fully aware that they were actually trying to mug him. Again they are just too freaked out and run off.

Seriously think that best forms of self defense are arts where you spend lots of time practicing staying on your feet when people are trying to knock you off your feet. So Rugby is best (or that hand egg game if you are American), then Judo, Wrestling etc.

The one problem of course is that you have a higher injury risk playing Rugby than you do just letting yourself get mugged a few times. And Judo is pretty rough on the body also.

So maybe BJJ is a nice compromise after all.

Don't I need a tragic origin story as well?
    Just fabricate something or take so many drugs you really believe it
    http://www.isaninja.co.uk

Seriously think that best forms of self defense are arts where you spend lots of time practicing staying on your feet when people are trying to knock you off your feet. So Rugby is best (or that hand egg game if you are American), then Judo, Wrestling etc.
    ^This.

10 chars.
    www.carlsongracieteam.org.uk/

I don't know. A tory?
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me