Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does BJJ influence your life and vice versa

Default How does BJJ influence your life and vice versa

BJJ influences the way I live and the way I treat people and interact with them. I was wondering how it may influence other people.

Have you changed the way you see life since starting in the pyjama game? If so then in what way?
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

I started No Gi about a year ago and it has changed my life

I have changed my diet, stopped drinking, stopped smoking, and overall I feel great

if it wasnt for No Gi and Mauy thai I would be suffering from a permanent hangover, eating loads of crap all the time, and be sitting in from of my xbox every night
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

Helps me do stuff (change tv channel, pick up my drink etc) with my feet while feeding my son.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Helps me do stuff (change tv channel, pick up my drink etc) with my feet while feeding my son.
    ha! excellent
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

Quote Originally Posted by Romeoblood View Post
    I started No Gi about a year ago and it has changed my life

I have changed my diet, stopped drinking, stopped smoking, and overall I feel great

if it wasnt for No Gi and Mauy thai I would be suffering from a permanent hangover, eating loads of crap all the time, and be sitting in from of my xbox every night
    Did you stop smoking straight away or was this a gradual process? It's just something that i'm currently struggling with, i've gassed pretty badly at my first few no gi sessions and was wondering whether this is largely due to smoking still or if it's just cause my body isn't used to operating in that way. My cardio is fine at general MMA classes btw.

Quote Originally Posted by jclately View Post
    Did you stop smoking straight away or was this a gradual process? It's just something that i'm currently struggling with, i've gassed pretty badly at my first few no gi sessions and was wondering whether this is largely due to smoking still or if it's just cause my body isn't used to operating in that way. My cardio is fine at general MMA classes btw.
    hi i trained for a few year and im a smoker, i wouldnt say smoking held me back asfar as being able to last aslong as anyone in the gym but it was the time it took me to recover was the difference, saying that i never really found it held me back,

on a side note i allways think how i would be if i didnt smoke.

p.s if you are ever gassed just nip outside and have a smoke, its like having popeys spinich

Just over 2 years ago I came down with a nasty flu virus, after a couple of weeks of lying in bed dosed up and moaning about it, there were no signs of getting better. I was self employed and me and my wife had decided she would give up work for a few years to raise our children. Of course with me sidelined for a few weeks there as alot of pressure to get back to work so I went back perhaps a little too soon. I woke up one morning with a really bad chest pain, my left arm was numb and i felt like I was dying, we called an ambulance and the first diagnosis was a heart attack, no way I was only 35 years old! couldnt believe what was going on! my wife was distraught and trying to hold it together for our 2 young children 2 and 4 at the time. I was in a critical condition, the doctors suggested that my wife and kids should see me to say goodbye, it really wasnt looking too good to say the least.

I was transferred to the cardiac unit at St Thomas's in London where I had an angiogram to investigate my heart function. It turned out that I had Myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) brought about by the flu virus. I underwent treatment in hospital for 2 weeks and gradually recovered thanks to the amazing doctors and nurses at St Thomas's, not to mention the characters on the ward that ensured that spirits always remained high.

Looking back on this time i realise now that I was in denial. I was 35, very unfit, 3 or 4 stone overweight. Most days I would skip breakfast, east fast food for lunch and a takeaway for dinner. I took virtually no exercise whatsoever and was in bad shape. No wonder I was prone to colds and flu's that would one day land me in hospital. I knew when I returned home that I needed to change my life around. Tried football, running and other martial arts, but it was only when I discovered bjj that my life really turned around.

I was full of apprehension on my first day at CG back in July last year. I was 37, 5 ft 8, 30% body fat and 93 kg's, most of the weight was around my gut and for my height I was probably 15kg's overweight. I was happy to see such a mix of people in the room from all walks of life and of all ages, from teenagers up to Wobbly Bob. After the first class I was hooked! couldnt stop thinking about bjj driving home, thinking about when I could make it down next.

How does bjj influence my life? 7 months after my first class I am now 76 kg's and the fittest I have been since my teens. I train 3 times a week, eat healthy foods and have never felt better. I feel a more balanced person both physically and mentally and I am certainly enjoying life so much better than I was before. And being around the people at Carlsons, Wilson, Dickie, Andre and the rest of the guys is very inspiring!

Well thats my story, I hope you enjoyed it! ossssss

@Gez

nice one man!

@gez ooooooooossssssssssssssssssss

Good read Gez, well done. Did you find yourself feeling self conscious about your weight at first?

I know I did. It can be a really scary thing taking up a sport like this when you're really out of shape.