Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Catch Wrestling in the UK?

Default Catch Wrestling in the UK?

Hi, just wondering if there are any authentic catch wrestling schools/coaches left in the UK?

Seen that there are 2 guys on the scientific wrestling site that are from the UK and have been accredited by Billy Robinson, but no amount of googling can track them down.

Preferably looking for anyone in the south of the country, but if needs must happy to travel.

cheers in advance.

Not such an easy question and mostly pivots on what do you mean by "authentic catch wrestling"?

Firstly, do you mean the folkstyle of Lancashire Catch-As-Catch-Can or the broader Catch-As-Catch-Can style (particularly popular in America)?

Also, are you wanting to learn the moves as they were trained at a certain time and place in history or a modern evolution of the sport? For contrast, what would it mean if someone wanted to train "authentic Brazilian Jiu Jitsu" or Judo.

As there was no set syllabus and each well know "catch wrestler" had what seems to be a very different style (which was often what had them successful) it probably comes down to a case of lineages and do they train for catch wrestling rules (the latter being rare as few Catch rules comps exist).

For lineages a lot of people didn't seem to pass it on. For Lancashire Catch it's most likely lines going back to Billy Riley of course as he's the most well known coach so the closet most get is guys trained directly by Billy Robinson, Karl Gotch et al. As a lot of them travelled and taught abroad more and the best bet in UK is maybe guys trained by Roy Wood, there must be a few of them around as I heard he was a very good coach.

Good luck and please let us know what you find out.

Nathan
    Head Coach at Leicester Shootfighters
    Sponsored by Caged Steel and Empire Fight Shop

hi pal, stockport fighters is a catch wrestling gym certified under billy wicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE MOSS View Post
    Didn't know there were many people in UK trained in American style Catch. Awesome to hear. Who trained with Billy Wicks?

Nathan

ian bromley at stockport. he's heading back over to north carolia soon and johnny husky will be coming back over in a few months for a month or so with him. they do this once ot twice a year.

ian bromley at stockport. he's heading back over to north carolia soon and johnny husky will be coming back over in a few months for a month or so with him. they do this once ot twice a year.
    Do you have an email contact for Johnny Husky and/or Ian?

Nathan

Cheers lads, really appreciate the info, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Have found a site that is linked to them bad seems to be down at the moment www.sbgstockport.co.uk

thanks again lads.

Ian Bromley comes over to my gym sometimes and I send my fighters over to his gym.
    Great catch wrestling and all the lads there are friendly and helpfull!
    Professional MMA Referee www.mmaofficials.co.uk

Shane Rigby a couple of times a week in Wigan. He is / was the wrestling coach for Kaobon in Liverpool and was taught by Roy Wood. I think he may have competed in Amateur Wrestling as well.

I went to one of their seminars a couple of years back and it was fantastic. Johnny Husky may not be a big name, but his knowledge and teaching skills are great.
    www.bloodyrevolution.wordpress.com