Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you avoid being overcome by adrenaline in a competition?

Default How do you avoid being overcome by adrenaline in a competition?

Particularly the first fight.

What coping strategies work for you?
    Tap Forged

Keep competing and it doesn't happen anymore.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Agreed. Experiance Experiance And More Experiance !
    Doesnt really happen for me because im a very relaxed person but the real challenge is the muscles and stamina.
    my first ever competition, after dominating someone from the bottom sweep then mount for a submission but because i was on the bottom holding his sleeves for so long i couldnt close my hands anymore. The ability to recover enough to do well in the rest of the competition is harder then keeping your emotions down ha
    Brazilian Ju Jitsu Blue Belt- Royce Gracie.

roll beforehand. just a light, technical one.

Masterbate. It's basic physiology really.

Then wash your hands.
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

It also works in reverse. To raise your opponent's level of nervous tension and distract him, whisper into his ear the reason to your calmness.
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

Quote Originally Posted by liamwandi View Post
    It also works in reverse. To raise your opponent's level of nervous tension and distract him, whisper into his ear the reason to your calmness.
    ahahah !! good one ! that should be scary enough !! ahahah
    Carlson Gracie BJJ Revolution Team London

Rolling before hand sounds like a good idea. Provided there is an area provided.
    Tap Forged

Adrenaline is a good thing that helps your body maximise its performance. It numbs pain, increases the heart rate and dilates the airways. All these improve performance. However, if you are not used to adrenaline it can numb a person and cause them to sieze up.

You can never stop the adrenaline unless you enter competitions in which you have no care for the result. What you can do though is get your body used to adrenaline by putting yourself into stressful situations (like competitions) on a regular basis. Also take comfort in the fact that even world and olympic sports people can and do struggle controlling it even after years of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by liamwandi View Post
    Masterbate. It's basic physiology really.

Then wash your hands.
    +1. And your back in the room.
    "If you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic