Thread: Apple TV?

Default Apple TV?

Anyone here use it? Any good? Do you know if you can play DRM protected files through the tv if it is hooked up to the ATV? ie TV shows downloaded from iTunes.

Does the sound go through the HDMI cable as well or would I need to set it up another way?

Ta

They're ok from what I've seen, your limited on HD and audio playback, e.g. no 1080i, 1080p, TrueHD or DTS-HD but probably a cheaper solution then building a HTPC or buying one.

HDMI will also transmit sound, there's an optical out but I think this gives you 4.1 at best.
    Last edited by bean; 23-02-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    http://www.isaninja.co.uk

Thanks for the detailed reply. Can I play DRM protected content from my mac? Can't seem to find a straight answer googling.

i'm not a huge fan of Apple products...if i ever got one, it would have to be ludicrously cheap or free, and then i would hack it and install XBMC.

if you are after streaming/network player then get something that runs XBMC, trust me its worth the effort.

http://xbmc.org/
    The streets are alive with the sounds of pain...EARN YOUR F***ING SCARS, SON!

I don't know what that is but there is an AppleTV 2 product on that site.

XBMC is THE best free software ever made, its a fully fledged Media Suite cabable of playing pretty much anything, and runs on a large array of devices.

once you have got your head around the ins and outs, it really is the mutts danglies.

i run it on my PC and XBOX1.
    The streets are alive with the sounds of pain...EARN YOUR F***ING SCARS, SON!

Thanks. Sounds good. It says it runs on the Apple TV 2 so it's all gravy baby.