Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where did it all go wrong for Judo?

The old "contraversial Judo thread title", a classic old school technique to fire up some forum debate :-) Simon loves the smell of napalm in the morning.
    Last edited by TatooineFarmBoy; 01-03-2011 at 10:16 AM.

A generation of Judoka with superior ne-waza is still around but in 40 years time what will have happened to that knowledge? Will it be gone forever, that would be very sad.

Everyone in Judo that was keen on newaza will be cross training in BJJ anyway, so I dont think any techniques will really die. Certainly is a classic video clip btw. Obviously it all went wrong for Judo when they tried to make it more spectator friendly, but I guess most people here knew that already.

I have had the intentions of training judo for a long time.

Started a session - stopped for variety of reasons.
    Restarted - Got Injured etc..

I think i will re-start at the weekend. The instructor is good and has an excelent rolling juji gatame. I am yet to see him miss it in training and/or competition..but it is his 'Go to technique' on the back and he is training a very long time.

Imho - its a great sport but could be alot better if it hadnt have been for the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIBULUS View Post
    All their resources are directed towards that medal. Courses to improve coaching, a new form of grading that's intended to improve student retention and therefore overall numbers as well as improving the technical level over the long term. Funding for athletes to train full time, world class facilities etc.
    Spot on. The pursuit of sporting medals means that training methods are constantly refined to improve medal winning chances. However, this comes at a price.

Under the rules it is easier to throw for Ippon than obtain a submission. Thus newaza has slowly been erroded. Further, it is easier to learn gripping strategies to spoil your opponents game and grind out koka wins than it is to learn to dominate your opponent and throw with flair and brilliance. As such opponents are getting harder and harder to throw and the stand up phase slowly degenerated into fake leg attacks and attempts to trick refs into giving out shidos. The current rule changes are an attempt to try and stop the rot. However, most judoka would rather direct leg grabs remained legal and instead referees should penalise spoiling tactics more vigourously.

Lucky for Judo, BJJ has preserved our newaza and in some areas improved it. Whilst some judoka have an amazing knowledge of the ground game, for most Judoka the easiest way to learn top quality newaza is to cross train BJJ. So a big thankyou to BJJ from Judo.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    and why can't it be like this anymore?

http://www.judovision.org/?p=170
    that video looks like a reasonable percentage of bjj matches you;d see at the mundials these days...

Never mind Adams' jujigatame, it's his taiotoshi that I love, just so fucking fast.

James