Thread: reach advantage

Default reach advantage

can anyone tell me their favourite ways and methods of getting past reach and using a short reach to your advantage. i am 5"10 with a reach of 68 inch, i tend to get pushed backwards by jabs when i move in to my opponents distance.....?????

this will appear cheeky but hear me out...

by the sounds of it you need to work on your movement

I'm just under 6 ft 6, and 68-70kg, so have a very long reach for someone of my weight.

i've been sparring with a tough shorter guy recently, and he moves round the jab, and counters with body shots

a few hard body shots and the odds are evened

good luck mate
    Stuart Baxter - Contributing writer - The Fight Lounge

As above, Kill the body and the head will die!

Move around the jab, use the jab as your opportunity to get in close, your going to get hit with a jab at worst and that is hardly like taking an over hand right. Tuck the chin, work on your movement, angles and head movement especially to use it to get in
    Ninja

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

I'm 5'6" and have no reach, I generally try to time a level change and hit a double, I probably SHOULD try to improve my standup lol
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

how do you measure reach? from arm pit to knuckle or one arm to another arm eg left knuckle to right knuckle?
    If size mattered, the elephant would be the king of the jungle, The mind is like a parachute -- it works best when it is open." - Rickson Gracie

I'm 6' 4'' and have long arms and the shorters guys that I find it hardest to keep at the end of my jab tend to do all or some of these:

Alot of lateral movement, coming in at angles to land punches and avoid getting hit, so good footwork is essential.

Head movement, if they're slipping and bobbing and weaving makes it makes it harder to time them coming in. And hitting empty air makes my jabbing arm tired!

A very good guard with chin tucked and hands well up. Its important for most fighters but especially so if you're alot shorter than your opponent I think.

They also tend to use distance carefully, they're either outside my range or well inside where they've got an advantage - footwork again.

And in terms of punches the overhand right is one they tend to set up alot, it can be hard to see it coming if you're taller.
    Fitch's fan

Quote Originally Posted by CraigSt.Clair View Post
    I'm 5'6" and have no reach, I generally try to time a level change and hit a double, I probably SHOULD try to improve my standup lol
    Snap! I usually block punches with my face, and either shoot or tie up, dirty box.
    "CAGED STEEL WE SALUTE YOU"

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mcgovern View Post
    Snap! I usually block punches with my face, and either shoot or tie up, dirty box.
    EXACTLY how I do shit, tho I am doing none at the mo due to my fractured foot lol
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA